turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage 220 Turkey

Started by rakkin6, May 31, 2020, 07:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Just wondering if anyone has tried either this or the 212 model from savage. I have a Savage 212 Slug and I really like it. Just wondering what people think about it. If you have tried it what load/choke/shell combo. I am looking for a 20 gauge to start shooting TSS through. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Chris O

I am betting it will be good. I have the 220 slug gun and it's a tack driver. The magazine doesn't impress me it seems finicky to get another shell in the chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have the 220.  Very happy with it.  The good:  superb adjustable trigger,  not much weight out front - very well balanced, quiet thumb safety, well polished overbored barrel, beautiful patterns, smooth action, carries well, comes from the factory set up for optics, adjustable comb height and length of pull, easy to double check optics before a hunt by bore sighting.  Could be improved: the magazine is plastic and seems cheap relative to the gun (but light weight and no problems cycling so far), not a light weight gun for a 20, would like to see other camo options.   I shoot mine with TSS hand loads and use an IC .575 choke.   

redjones

I have one,so far so good.
Like others have mentioned the magazine leaves a little to be desired,and its a touch heavy.
But it makes up for any issue's by having a very user friendly stock,good trigger,setup for optics,and mine shoots lights out with tss and a IC .555 choke,plus the price isn't going to break you either.

Greg
Semper Fi

rakkin6

How is the cycling on it when you go to chamber another round? Or is that what you meant by the magazine. I know on my 212 slug I had to grease it and work it a lot before the season to get the smooth ejection and chambering

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ltprod

Following

rakkin6

Sorry didn't see the other posts in reference to the cycling. Thank you guys for the responses. I think I am going to pick one up soon. I am thinking about trying the Browning TSS out and check the patterns out with those. And and an Indian Creek choke.ninhave Indian Creek on my 835 and Benelli and didn't even need to try another choke.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dtrkyman

Was interested until I heard the bot light weight comment,  main reason to switch to a 20 or smaller is the carrying weight for me. 

rakkin6

Weight doesn't bother me so much, but if I can get just had good effects downrange with a 20 like a can a 12 I am game. Honestly just give me a reason to buy another gun lol

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the 220. Now I just need a red dot and figure out my TSS

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

redjones

Savage website lists its weight at 7.5 lbs for the 220.

Greg
Semper Fi

Dtrkyman

Quote from: redjones on June 01, 2020, 10:53:08 AM

Greg
My point exactly, my sbe2 weighs less or the same in 12ga.

So what's the point?

If you just want more guns I get it!

rakkin6

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 01, 2020, 04:05:43 PM
Quote from: redjones on June 01, 2020, 10:53:08 AM

Greg
My point exactly, my sbe2 weighs less or the same in 12ga.

So what's the point?

If you just want more guns I get it!

Yeah pretty much just another gun, and if it has a little less recoil not going to complain about that either.

Was looking at the Apex website and was thinking of buying one box of the Ninja and one box of the Ninja and one box of the GT in 3" and shoot them both once I get my red dot and get it mounted. I already bought 3 boxes of the Federal TSS  3" #9 off of Bass Pro this morning they have it on sale for $15.00.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER