OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fastest Hunt

Started by zelmo1, May 29, 2020, 08:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

What was your, or a bird you witnessed, fastest kill shot? I don't mean 30 seconds after legal time. I mean from when he hit the ground. My wife killed her Tom after three steps and he turned, " shhot", dead. I figure 8ish seconds, lol

TRG3

Probably the quickest kill was my first bird ever taken, and that was in Pope County, IL, back in the late 1980s. I had little idea of what I was doing, but after a pre-dawn 30 minute walk down a ridge, I crossed a valley and climbed another steep ridge where I'd heard them the previous morning. They gobbled, I gave some light yelps, and a gobbler flew down, landing behind a large boulder. When he stepped around it to find the hen, I dropped him with a load of #5 shot. He was a handful to carry back across the valley and up the other ridge, then the 30 minutes to the truck, but I had a smile on my face the whole way back! As a remembrance of that event, I dropped my 870 on the way out and bend the ventilated rib. Since way back when, I've taken a couple of gobblers every year but that bent vent rib is reminder of how it all started.

Sixes

I'd guess his feet were on the ground for maybe 2 seconds.  I slipped in and saw him on the roost about 60 yards away.  Finally, after gobbling his head off, he turned towards me and pitched straight to me. I flipped off the safety while he was in flight and he landed about 20 yards from me onto an old roadbed. As soon as he threw his head up, I killed him.

One of the quickest hunts that I have had not off the roost was on 2 longbeards that I walked up on, They were strutted in our gas line at the foot of a hill.  I dropped back and off to the side, sat down, made a quick set of yelps and within 15-20 seconds, I saw their heads coming over the hill. I was quick on the trigger back then and boom, boom, they were both flopping. I had been on my lease and out of my truck less than 10 minutes for the whole hunt.

bonasa

I have shot 4 and teed-up 3 more that were shot in under 5 seconds of hitting the ground. Have an entry in my journal "pitched into the decoys like a goose complete with back flapping, could have taken on the wing shot." Two were taken in the same piece of public land two years in a row by companions I was helping, kind of a hike back in there so they weren't roosted prior but there always is a bird in that swamp every year, and still is.

SinGin

19 minuets from time leaving the truck to picking him up by the feet. Me and a buddy also killed two 12 minuets apart that didn't come in together.

Tom007

Bird flew down, landed 30 yards from me, went into full strut, moved 5 feet, stopped stuck his head up, BOOM. I will never forget this one....
"Solo hunter"

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

The fastest hunt I have witnessed was this year. The gobbler was roosted 35 yards from me and my brother. We did not know he was that close, LOL. He pitched down in front of us and took one step.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Pluffmud

Good stories. My fastest one ever was the last bird I took this year. I found a gobbler alone in a field late one afternoon on a piece of public. I tried to work him then but with the wind, I was having some difficulty. I considered belly crawling up to him, but I wanted to do it "the right way" lol (just kidding don't get mad at me). Since you can only hunt this place on certain days, I knew that he would be unpressured when I came back next. I wasn't sure where he would be roosted, but I had an idea.

The morning I went out after him was the night after the bad Tornadoes hit Tennessee, and it was still bad wind and rain coming through, but I made the drive anyway. Thankfully the wind and rain stopped, completely. I made the walk down to the field a little later than normal due to the cloud cover keeping it darker longer. I set up and after about 5 or 6 minutes I gave a light tree help. I didn't hear him gobble but when I yelped, I heard him shift around on the limb directly above me. I froze and my heart started racing, because I thought I would get close to him, but I didn't think I would get that close! I continued to hear him move on the limb for 2 or 3 minutes right above me, then he stopped moving. I expected to hear him pitch down, so I was listening intently to hear his wings. As I'm listening, 10 yards to my left he catches me off guard, walking straight to my hen decoy. He never gobbled, and pitched off of the limb completely silent, but I gave the illusion of lonely late season hen and he bought it. I left the truck at 6:30am, and was walking back at 6:50am.
Psalm 46:10

outdoorsmen

Had a few quickies. One time involved nothing but previous knowledge of typical behavior. Walk in, bird gobbles on roost. I drop everything except my gun. Why cause the previous 2 days this bird did everything opposite of what I wanted. I set up south, he goes north, etc. So this time I don't call or anything he Flys off the roost right towards me, hits the ground takes 3 steps and boom.
This year was off the roost the roost and into my decoys.
Several years ago I sat under one and feared he would fly down out of range. So I waited till he pitched down and shot him before he.hit the ground. I didnt even know he was in the area till my phone ring in my pocket and that made him gobble. I looked up and said oh boy...

Dtrkyman

To answer your question, immediately!  Shot 3 maybe 4 over the years that looked as if they struck by lightning, no flop no quiver nothing!

Not very common, one bird this season did it! 

Greg Massey

I don't remember that was over 30 years ago.. LOL... main thing is i was taking him back to the truck..

paboxcall

Hunting with one of our camp old timers years ago, three gobblers sounded off at 6:00am one overcast morning not far from us waiting for daylight, so we set up quick. They gobbled so much on the roost, sounded like a turkey farm. The three flew down and literally raced each other and ran into our set up. His hunt was over at 6:10am. His first long beard ever.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

g8rvet

My first ever spring hunt.  My buddy was taking me and we were slipping through a creek on a dim road to a more distant gobble.  One gobbled right in our pocket, maybe 75 yards off the road.  We eased in and sat down.  Buddy called one time, hen behind us on the other side of the road started talking and he flew down toward the hen (and us) and took maybe 10 steps and died.  It was so early that the pictures look like he was shot in the dark.  We stowed him away and took off after the other bird and my buddy worked him, but did not get him to commit.  I was hooked.  My buddy warned me that it was certainly not a typical hunt! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spring Creek Calls

This was a Kansas WIHA crossbow hunt 2 days prior to the gun opener. Parked the Jeep walked across the road and opened the gate and as I closed it a bird gobbled right out in the pasture. Sat down in a small shaded spot and called once on the diaphragm. 2 longbeards immediately ran over the hill and were displaying in front of me at about 18 yards. The bolt went all the way thru at the butt of the wing and he barely moved after hitting the ground. Elapsed time, maybe 90 seconds.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Dr Juice

I had two 5-minute hunts, two different years, and both were boss Toms. I happen to see both Toms walking away from two different friends' properties while I was approaching to park. I parked the vehicle both times, closed the truck door quietly, put on my vest and put my mouth call in the ready position, head net, and gloves while I circled them. Let out a few low yelps and waited for the cut-off gobble, set-up and remained silent until the boom! I love those quick hunts. Honestly, I did not need the vest for both hunts but the seat cushion did come in handy!  :funnyturkey: