OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Late Season Minnesota

Started by Spring Creek Calls, May 29, 2020, 02:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Had a great morning in Minnesota shooting a double beard Gobbler at 7:30. Heard gobbling way off in a bottom and after a couple runs on the box call he was getting closer but heading up behind me. After swinging around the tree he was on top of the ridge in less than 10 minutes. Some scratching in the leaves and soft talk with a Martin 3 reed diaphragm and I could see movement thru the low brush. Could see his beard and when he went behind a tree moved the Model 12 into position for his exit from the tree, just in time for a second longbeard to move into view just a few yards behind. The first bird hit the opening raised his head and at 35 yards the FoxTrot Mini Twister in 8.5's layed him out flat. The other Gobbler started to come in for a beat down but changed his mind when I got to my feet. Heavy bird (no scale), one heavy 9" beard, one thin 6" beard and 7/8" spurs. Latest I've ever shot a bird, he'd lost a lot of wing tips to strutting.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Happy hooker

Congrats I live here and it's beyond crazy,,nice to see someone experiencing some good times.

Beards and Hooks

Hobbes

Congrats!  Good looking bird.  I considered a late run to Minnesota this year, but the virus ended those plans.

bbcoach

Congrats Mike on a nice morning.  Glad to hear about these late season kills and with an old Model 12 as a bonus.  Great looking gun!   

Spring Creek Calls

Thanks guys! That old Model 12 has killed a ton of game from deer to grouse and everything in between, including my first deer and first turkey. Been in the family 55 years used by my Dad and 2 brothers.

Tom007

Way to go my friend. Congrats, well earned.......

Mossberg90MN

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

greencop01

Congrats on a nice tom and what must have been a most satisfying hunt. Nicely done.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Greg Massey

Awesome hunt for sure and nothing better than taking the old gun.. congrats on fine gobbler..

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

btomlin

TRG3

About three years ago, I got out my grandfather's Model 12, taking a nice gobbler with a high brass load of #6 shot that came in to run off my jake decoy from the hen decoy it was accompanying. That Model 12 was my grandfather's only shotgun, providing game meat for the family through the Great Depression. It's now retired in the gun safe and will be passed on to his great grand son.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: TRG3 on May 31, 2020, 11:33:20 AM
About three years ago, I got out my grandfather's Model 12, taking a nice gobbler with a high brass load of #6 shot that came in to run off my jake decoy from the hen decoy it was accompanying. That Model 12 was my grandfather's only shotgun, providing game meat for the family through the Great Depression. It's now retired in the gun safe and will be passed on to his great grand son.
I certainly understand retiring the Model 12 as mine was in the safe for the last 10 years. IMHO, the Model 12 is the finest pump shotgun ever built and I took measures this year to make sure I duck and turkey hunt this gun until either it or I fail to operate. Here's the new tricked out version, barrel reduced from 32" to 26, Briley choke tubes installed, HiViz plain barrel sight, sling/swivel mounts and a Beartooth recoil pad.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk