OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NC Trout Fishing?

Started by FLGobstopper, May 28, 2020, 08:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Planning a family trip to North Carolina in July and staying right on the Tuckasegee River east of Cullowhee. I'm mostly a saltwater guy and only picked up trout fishing a little in the past 3 years. I've fly fished GA mountains some and made a trip to fish the Big Horn River in Montana last year and that's been the bulk of my experience, never fished the Tuck.

Anyone local to or familiar with the area? Recommendations on a guide for a day to get us started in the right direction?

Also, I would be happy for any general info or pointers for fishing with the kids (12 & 14) and my wife. For them probably be mainly using light spinning rods, wade fishing or possibly by kayak if we are convinced we nee to bring them.

bigriverbum

i can't be of much help, sorry. can just share my experience trying to trout fish NC

i spent 2 days around the boone area a few years ago and just wanted to catch a few native brookies in small streams in the national forests.  i stopped at 3 or 4 fly shops and not one of them seemed to know anything about the smaller streams or dry fly fishing.

this could be the "industry" in the area is geared towards paying customers on drift boats on bigger water or what i was seeking was a secret. 

beautiful area. reminds me a lot of the driftless area in wisconsin. just higher elevations and less farmland

never did catch a fish, but struggled to find water that wasn't blown out as there was a tropical storm sitting over the state and dumping rain for days. the out of state license was cheap though

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: FLGobstopper on May 28, 2020, 08:55:07 AM
Planning a family trip to North Carolina in July and staying right on the Tuckasegee River east of Cullowhee. I'm mostly a saltwater guy and only picked up trout fishing a little in the past 3 years. I've fly fished GA mountains some and made a trip to fish the Big Horn River in Montana last year and that's been the bulk of my experience, never fished the Tuck.

Anyone local to or familiar with the area? Recommendations on a guide for a day to get us started in the right direction?

Also, I would be happy for any general info or pointers for fishing with the kids (12 & 14) and my wife. For them probably be mainly using light spinning rods, wade fishing or possibly by kayak if we are convinced we nee to bring them.

I live here. Call and talk with Matt Canter at Brookings in Cashiers. Tell him David Joy told you to call. Ask if Roger or Henry might be available. If they're booked, call Hunter Banks in Asheville and ask to speak to Miller. Ask Miller to take you on the Tuck, and, again, tell him David Joy told you to call.

dirtnap

Davidson River near Brevard is pretty dang good. You will not need a guide. I took some kids there last year and we caught a pile of fish. They stock it every week on either Thursday or Friday. I can't remember.  I would go there one day.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 30, 2020, 09:03:32 AM
I live here. Call and talk with Matt Canter at Brookings in Cashiers. Tell him David Joy told you to call. Ask if Roger or Henry might be available. If they're booked, call Hunter Banks in Asheville and ask to speak to Miller. Ask Miller to take you on the Tuck, and, again, tell him David Joy told you to call.

David, thank very much you for the recommendations, I'll give them a call.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: dirtnap on June 01, 2020, 01:57:48 AM
Davidson River near Brevard is pretty dang good. You will not need a guide. I took some kids there last year and we caught a pile of fish. They stock it every week on either Thursday or Friday. I can't remember.  I would go there one day.

Good information, thank you!

bear hunter

You will be in a great area with miles of trout streams it will be a great trip for you.