turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

This months mail

Started by Sir-diealot, May 27, 2020, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Got a few nice calls in, I was a pretty good boy and did not spend a lot this month, putting it all in the gas tank to go hunting.

I got Mr. Morgan's book America, Wild Turkeys & Mongrel Dogs: Life Lessons From a Hunting Master last month and picked up his other book Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game this month, looking forward to reading both.
IMG_1127 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

I also picked up another tube call by made from gergg made by Jack "Pappy" Lewis, this one is in Osage Orange.
IMG_1132 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1131 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1130 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Through Call Cedar and Green Slate made by Higher Calling Custom Turkey Calls by Nathan Taylor A little story about Nathan, I met him last August at the Northeast Call Makers Summit and he was selling these calls and others, I walked up to him and told him I did not have the money to get the call but I would like to know how you play them as I had never seen one before. A lot of times when I have told people that I did not have the money but I was interested in something they would either blow me off or tell me to come back when I had the money, Nathan did not do that, he took the time to talk with me and show me a couple of ways to run the call and was very friendly about it the entire time. That is why I chose to buy my first trough call from him, I liked him and liked the way he treated a customer that he knew was not going to buy from him at that time. He got my respect. I really like the call by the way, very easy to play.

IMG_1121 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1123 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

The last thing I got was this Chestnut and Ipe with Holly inlay Longbox by Ernie Fetters (Shade Mountain Calls) She's a player.

IMG_1137 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1140 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1138 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

I am after a call from one more maker before August if I can, hoping it works out and he works with the woods I would like.

Forgot about this Mac cherry pot with glass striking surface over slate soundboard.
IMG_1077 (3) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1078 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

jgard

sbbow

Very nice batch callers there Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Nice haul!!!  Wish my mail lady would bring me things like this. I get junk mail and bills.  :'( :'(

Tom007

Wow, nice stash. You deserve it my brother........

Adirondacks89

Nice looking calls I'm sure they'll be great in the woods

Bridger

That is a sharp looking longbox.  Nice haul.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: jgard on May 27, 2020, 03:55:52 PM
This is a good month
Thanks.

Quote from: sbbow on May 27, 2020, 04:13:01 PM
Very nice batch callers there Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you much.

Quote from: captpete on May 27, 2020, 04:44:01 PM
Nice haul!!!  Wish my mail lady would bring me things like this. I get junk mail and bills.  :'( :'(
I think my mail lady is sick of me getting things all the time. lol She is not as good as the last two by far.

Quote from: Tom007 on May 27, 2020, 05:18:25 PM
Wow, nice stash. You deserve it my brother........
Thank you Tom

Quote from: Adirondacks89 on May 27, 2020, 05:34:29 PM
Nice looking calls I'm sure they'll be great in the woods
Thanks, hoping to take the Fetters out for the first time in the morning, slight chance or rain but I will keep it protected.

Quote from: Bridger on May 27, 2020, 05:36:59 PM
That is a sharp looking longbox.  Nice haul.

Thank you, it just came this afternoon.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Loyalist84

Very nice calls! I've been eyeing up one of Nathan's troughs myself!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Loyalist84 on May 27, 2020, 05:56:38 PM
Very nice calls! I've been eyeing up one of Nathan's troughs myself!
I enjoyed talking with him, seemed very humble.

John Koenig:

paboxcall

Fetters box is sweet. Congrats on a killer Steve.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

BigSlam51

Nice haul, Steve

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

silvestris

Of your callers, which one has called up the most gobblers this year?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on May 27, 2020, 05:59:46 PM
Fetters box is sweet. Congrats on a killer Steve.
Thank you, sound much different than my others.

Quote from: BigSlam51 on May 27, 2020, 06:40:00 PM
Nice haul, Steve

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you. You know I always feel so bad because my meds to not allow me to remember most of your names and you guys all remember mine.

Quote from: silvestris on May 27, 2020, 07:57:51 PM
Of your callers, which one has called up the most gobblers this year?
Not a single one this year, not even a definite gobble this year, has been a very odd year. I heard some definite hen talk this morning, that is the first definite turkey talk I have heard all year.

John Koenig:

Jstocks

That book in hardcover is on my list next. I still need to recover from my recent purchases ....

Nice stuff you got there. Hope you get to use it on a gobbler before season goes out. Good luck