News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jake vs Hen quick ID help?

Started by TeeGee, May 27, 2020, 08:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeGee

Help out a new hunter -

I was out this morning.  Had a ~turkey~ fly down not 15 yards from me.  I think it saw me right away and started to move off - not a sprint, but a fairly motivated move.  Still, had I turned quicker when it passed behind a tree I could have gotten an easy shot.   After 3+ weeks of spending many hours without getting close, it was frustrating to finally get so close and not get the shot off.  Why did I hesitate?

Because I couldn't tell if it was a Tom or not! 

It clearly wasn't an obvious, old, big red-wattled Tom with a beard like you see in photos.  But it seemed pretty big to me, and it easily could have been a jake or maybe even a Tom just not in the full strut I'm used to seeing in photos.  This was at fly down so the light wasn't great.  Or, it could have been a hen, and just seemed bigger because I was so surprised it landed right next to me.  So, I hesitated.  Now I'm kicking myself, because it did seem physically large, and most hens I've seen around have looked smaller. 

So while I've learned a lot in this, my first season, about calling and strategy and everything else, I've apparently failed to learn the real-world basics of how to identify just what it is I'm trying to shoot.

Are there any sites with many photos, or videos, or - really what I want is a site with flashcard style quick identification, which is what I needed this morning?  Anything to point me to that will help me next time?  I haven't been able to find much like that.  Either they show super obvious differences.   Or, they show you the tips of the feathers, which at a distance in the early morning light with just a second to decide is pretty useless. 

I've got 4 days left til the end of the NY season.  Any help?!

fallhnt

SAFETY 1st....if you can't CLEARLY identify your target DO NOT SHOOT. You don't need flash cards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bbcoach

In most states, regulations require a visible beard so that is what you should be concentrating on.  It stinks to get so close but personally I'm proud that you didn't shoot.  Secondly, first light is hard to make a quick identification.  The only other discerning markings is the head (red for jakes and gray for the hens).  Since most jakes are the size of hens, you didn't have much light for a positive ID and the bird moved off quickly, I commend you for holding off.  Keep after them!  It's not about the kills, it's about the memories we make and the lessons we learn when we're in the woods.  Good Luck the next 4 days.

TonyTurk

If you didn't see a beard, its best not to shoot.  Imagine if you had shot, only to discover you had illegally killed a hen.  You made the right decision.  Glad you have taken up the addiction...er, I mean...sport of turkey hunting.  Hang in there and keep after em!

GobbleNut

If there is doubt, you don't shoot,...period.  If you can't see a beard on the turkey and you are unsure, you don't shoot,...period. 

Honestly, I have been doing this for 55 years now and (under low-light or unfavorable conditions)  I see turkeys every spring that "could go either way",...that is, they could be a jake without a beard, or they could be an unusually colorfully-headed hen (those do exist in some places). 

Again, if you can't see a beard on a bird that you have any question about, do not shoot. 

Greg Massey

In reading your story , did you hear any gobbling from the tree before the bird flew down, or hen soft calling ? Agree with the other post , if you didn't see a beard or wasn't sure what the turkey was , DON"T shoot.  Early stages of your turkey hunting is all about learning, as i tell people it may take you couple of seasons or more before you kill your first gobbler , i feel you have to spend the time in the woods first and earn your gobbler. If your persistent and patience and have turkeys to hunt at some point you will be successful.

TeeGee

I haven't heard much gobbling for the past week.  There were some hen sounds from across the way.  Could have been this bird or could have been others.  Not much help there.  I definitely didn't notice a beard - can't say for sure whether there was one or not- but if that's the key to ID, and you should see one before shooting, then I suppose I did so the right thing.  Which I suppose is good to know...

Vintage

If I have a doubt I considered it a hen.

LaLongbeard

First off hunting till almost the end of season to realize you have to see a beard before it's legal is not a good start, especially when you have to be told about it on a hunting forum. It took me 10 seconds to find NY regulations and it clearly says bearded bird. The shoot now figure it out later way of thinking  is one of the reasons hens are killed and even other hunters are shot every year.
      You shouldn't be kicking yourself for letting a turkey walk but take it as a lesson learned.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

TRG3

Congratulations on holding off on the shot. It's not easy doing so as the bird walks away, but often a decision made in haste does not turn out favorably. I clearly remember my early years of turkey hunting and being confused with a jake vs. a hen, especially if the bird was wet making it darker in color. As has been noted already, look closely for that beard even if it's a short stubby one. Generally, a decoy or two will help hold a bird a little longer in order to provide more time to identify it. That same area you saw the bird in probably still holds it, so best of luck for the remainder of the season. One of the things that has helped me is the addition of a camo netting-type screen which I set up in front of me. It's about 7-8' wide, 3' tall, and kept in a vertical position by some pieces of river cane to which the netting has been hot-glued. The camo screen allows me movement behind it, like switching box and slate calls plus moving my shotgun without being seen.

Tomfoolery

You did the right thing. If there is ever any doubt at all DON'T SHOOT!  Even seasoned hunters have difficulty identifying a turkey in certain circumstances. and it all has to do with the particular regulations where you are hunting. Some states say visible beards, some the beard has to be at least so many inches long...which I don't agree with but thats the way it is. My state says Male Turkey. A few years ago I shot a gobbler that didnt have a beard. I knew it was a gobbler because he was strutting and gobbling 20 yards from me. Knew he had a full fan but couldn't see his beard because of tall ground cover. After I shot him and approached is when i noticed he was beardless, only a callused over nub where a beard once was. But was still perfectly legal in my state. If the regs say visible beard, that's what you should be looking for. With more experience you will be able to quickly identify the difference between a male and female turkey. Good job on passing.

TeeGee

Thanks all.  This is the trick with learning to hunt alone.  It's a matter of trial and error and coming to forums like this (along with books, videos, articles, google, etc etc etc) - and hopefully not screwing up too bad meanwhile. 

Tom007

You should be proud of your actions here. Not many people would have had your patience to pass, unsure of your quarry. The 10 commandments of gun handling safety apply in ALL hunting situations: Know your target, and beyond.....You were unsure, you passed. You will be a great ardent hunter, we are proud to have you in our forum family.....

yelpy

Quote from: TRG3 on May 27, 2020, 10:36:29 AM
Congratulations on holding off on the shot. It's not easy doing so as the bird walks away, but often a decision made in haste does not turn out favorably. I clearly remember my early years of turkey hunting and being confused with a jake vs. a hen, especially if the bird was wet making it darker in color. As has been noted already, look closely for that beard even if it's a short stubby one. Generally, a decoy or two will help hold a bird a little longer in order to provide more time to identify it. That same area you saw the bird in probably still holds it, so best of luck for the remainder of the season. One of the things that has helped me is the addition of a camo netting-type screen which I set up in front of me. It's about 7-8' wide, 3' tall, and kept in a vertical position by some pieces of river cane to which the netting has been hot-glued. The camo screen allows me movement behind it, like switching box and slate calls plus moving my shotgun without being seen.

Some states don't allow the use of a blind unless your fully concealed with a roof over head. It would be a good idea for the OP to check the regulations of the state they are hunting before using a mesh like that for concealment.

Tail Feathers

You did the right thing by not shooting.  It may have been a jake, but if you don't see it well enough to tell for sure, don't shoot.  Well done and good luck and keep after them!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!