turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Latest First Bird Ever

Started by zelmo1, May 24, 2020, 12:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I got my nemesis bird today, my first 1 1/2 hours of hunting for myself. I promised my wife I would get her a Tom this year. She passed on an easy shot last year to let my daughter shoot it. She has been with me every minute of the season. It has been tough but they fired up on Wednesday. She killed a jake on Thursday. We roosted a bird last night and 10 seconds after his feet hit the ground he was done. She was so happy. We checked in her bird and she cooked me breakfast. I went back out and there was an out of state hunter parked in my spot, imagine the nerve, lol. So I went after our nemesis bird on the ridge. 9 times we hunted there and I passed on him at 28 yards because he was heading rightbto my wife. Didn't work out. But today I was solo and doing it a little different. I got 2 gobbles and then he went quiet. I didn't take the bait. I moved into a good spot about 40 yards away and waited. Sure enough, they came 200 yards silent. I had a feeling and clucked real softly, he gobbled right where I was. A whiny yelp and he came running. Then we went for a ride in my truck, lol. Great day, I am a blessed old fat welder.  :funnyturkey:

Dr Juice

Congrats.  :turkey2:

Standing by for the pics and specs.

Tom007

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Sorry for no specs. The wife's was 18 1/2 pounds/ 9.5" beard / 13/16" spurs. Huge fan. My bird was 18.1 pounds( felt like 37 pounds hiking out)/ 8.5" beard( after I shot half of it off and my puppy mangled it)/ and the spurs were 1" and 1 1/16. I was 1.37 miles up in the ridges over here so no fancy pics of mine, lol. Not a huge bird, but after hunting him 10 times with the wife, the 11th day was my day.

Greg Massey

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zelmo1

I didn't realize it at first, my wife's tail fan is huge, lol. 30" across. She is very happy, thanks guys.  :turkey2:

JeffC

Congrats to you both. Nothing better than harvesting a Tom that you have history with.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Yoteduster

Congrats on a couple really nice gobblers

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: zelmo1 on May 24, 2020, 09:11:21 PM
I didn't realize it at first, my wife's tail fan is huge, lol. 30" across. She is very happy, thanks guys.  :turkey2:
Congrats to you both..
My wife's tail is huge also compared to 25 years ago..

btomlin

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 26, 2020, 05:56:58 PM
Quote from: zelmo1 on May 24, 2020, 09:11:21 PM
Congrats to you both..
My wife's tail is huge also compared to 25 years ago..

Nice knowing ya.  LOL.

GobblerReaper

TRG3

Congratulations on getting your wife to hunt with you. The only time my wife accompanied me was when I broke my ankle. I used my walker to move across a picked bean field while she carried the decoys. An hour later, she carried the gobbler back to the truck while I "managed" the decoys and shotgun on the return trip across the bean field on my walker. That was a hunt to remember!