turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gould’s Turkey mount help

Started by slicksbeagles1, May 21, 2020, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Could you guy's post pictures of your Gould's mounts to give me an Idea on how I would like to have mine mounted.
Thanks Keith

GobbleNut

Congrats on your Gould's gobbler.  Your mount pose should be based on your personal preference, but most folks seem to want their turkeys mounted in some form of the strutting posture.  More important than the position, however, is the person you have mount your bird.  Take more care in deciding on that with your bird than anything else.  A strutting gobbler mount that looks good is difficult to do,...and it really "separates the men from the boys" in turkey taxidermy. 

One important consideration on the mount posture is where you are going to put it and how much room you have for it.  If you have lots of space, the strutting pose that can be put on a pedestal is a popular mount.  With less space, you might consider a "limb" mount for the wall,...takes up considerably less space and is attractive. 

Most importantly, for your special, possibly one-of-a-kind gobbler, choose your taxidermist carefully!

Here are a few examples you might consider...

slicksbeagles1

Thanks for your reply kind words and advise GobbleNut! You have some nice mounts.

310 gauge

Very cool mounts! My Son is soon to pick up his latest which is like your bird that's gobbling off the limb with his mouth open. His shows off the bird's double beards as well as His great hooks. If you have a lot of space and a good beard, but weak on the spurs, a flying wall mount can be worked to show the beard and tail both. When the light hits all those feathers just right you will see God's handiwork! Love your flock!

Jstocks

My advice is to choose a mount that commemorates the experience.
To me, a Gould's gobbling on a limb would be kind of out of character (for example).

I have an Eastern that's strutting on the limb. I have a Rio hanging dead from an old weathered barn door with old horseshoes hanging from it. To me, if I was gonna mount a Merriam, it would be hanging dead or a strutting pose next to a wagon wheel.

I'm not sure about a Gould's. Try thinking of encompassing something from the trip that signifies the experience. It'll be a conversation piece and help with memorizing the hunt.

Yoder409

Both of mine are mounted in a manner that best represented the hunt.

My first bird came as he crested the mountaintop walking.  He stopped to look for the hen.

The second one came at the end of a looooooooooooong battle as he strutted for a lone hen FOREVER, down a wash from me.  I finally aggravated the hen enough that she came to give me a what-for.  He followed her to his demise.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

3bailey3

SinGin

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 25, 2020, 08:16:44 AM
Congrats on your Gould's gobbler.  Your mount pose should be based on your personal preference, but most folks seem to want their turkeys mounted in some form of the strutting posture.  More important than the position, however, is the person you have mount your bird.  Take more care in deciding on that with your bird than anything else.  A strutting gobbler mount that looks good is difficult to do,...and it really "separates the men from the boys" in turkey taxidermy. 

One important consideration on the mount posture is where you are going to put it and how much room you have for it.  If you have lots of space, the strutting pose that can be put on a pedestal is a popular mount.  With less space, you might consider a "limb" mount for the wall,...takes up considerably less space and is attractive. 

Most importantly, for your special, possibly one-of-a-kind gobbler, choose your taxidermist carefully!

Here are a few examples you might consider...

No offense but that is one wild Antolope in the background, and is that a small chicken towards the bottom?

GobbleNut

Quote from: SinGin on May 28, 2020, 10:00:14 PM
No offense but that is one wild Antolope in the background, and is that a small chicken towards the bottom?

LOL,...Yeah, that old pronghorn was a pretty unique fellow.   The "chicken" you see is actually a bronze turkey sculpture.  :)