OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OSCEOLA Type Gobbler Taken In New York.

Started by quavers59, May 19, 2020, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Yesterday- 5/18/2020, I called up 2 Gobblers with Clucks + Purrs on the Primos Jackpot Glass Pot.  The one, I shot was the Blackest Gobbler, I have ever seen! Complete with Long Red Legs, not much White Wing Barring, Solid Black Feathers on his Lower Back and he weighed a Light 17lbs. Solid Black Spurs were just under 1" and Sharp- so a 3 year old.   Really proud of him as he looks just like a OSCEOLA Gobbler. I am going to take a Female friend out and see if ,She can get his matching Brother.    Anyway-- This was my 50th Longbeard and Wild Turkey #121 on the Public/ Gun Club Lands.    I hunted 18 Days Straight and rested up today. I still have 1 New York Tag Left . We go to May 31st. Wish, I Could post pics on this site.

Dr Juice

Awesome deal and congrats. It would be nice to see the pics if you can post them.

Greg Massey

turkeyfool

I'd also be curious to see a picture. On a side note, my parents live on the East Coast and I was thinking about giving NY a shot this weekend (or New England). If the weather is reasonable, are they still pretty vocal up there into late May?

quavers59

Tom007

Congrats. It's funny you mentioned black spurs. Almost all the birds I shoot in New York  have jet black spurs.....

GobbleNut

Congrats on a unique gobbler.  I'll go ahead and start the "urban legend" theory here:  There is a good chance your bird is a twenty-year-old remnant of that dastardly transplant some outlaw turkey hunter  from New York made when he secretly trapped a flock of Oscey's back in "aught six" and smuggled into NY.  That's the only logical explanation,....besides those little old recessive melanistic genes that sometimes just pop up.  :)

Tail Feathers

Congrats on your unique tom! 

Can you explain "50th longbeard and wild turkey #121"? 
You've taken 71 jakes and hens?  Fall hunting?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, would like to see a picture. If I remember right a all black turkey is rarer than a smoke/white phased turkey.

Please if I am mistaken please somebody kindly correct me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

snoodcrusher

That turkey obviously caught a ride and made the trek up I-95.  Can't say I blame him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lunghit

Quote from: turkeyfool on May 19, 2020, 02:45:04 PM
I'd also be curious to see a picture. On a side note, my parents live on the East Coast and I was thinking about giving NY a shot this weekend (or New England). If the weather is reasonable, are they still pretty vocal up there into late May?
I live on Long Island and on the way to work this morning I saw toms that were strutting with some hens. I have been seeing the birds active all spring and no sign of slowing down. Im heading upstate on Saturday to hopefully fill my last tag.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

RutnNStrutn

Definitely want to see the pictures!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

bonasa

Called in a gobbler for my son, filled his second tag this morning. Have called in quite a few for friends and family over the Memorial Day holiday over the years, gobbling and strutting the whole time.

TauntoHawk

Yes, some hens haven't even nested yet as areas of the North east had snow showers several times just last week. I was hunting the PA/NY state line a week ago and had bellow freezing temps all 6 days many were around 25 to start. This weekend I'm looking at 48/70 temps for that area and expect it to be one of the better times of the season for the North East. I'll have my wife out two days in PA and my father out 2 days in Ny before returning to work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkeyfool

Awesome, thanks for the update guys. I'll probably try my hand up around Oneonta/Norwich area this weekend.