15 shot and 2 dead.

Started by fallhnt, May 18, 2020, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Unbelievable.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

cwb04

And the rest of the story?   Kinda left us hangin.

fallhnt

15 turkey hunters shot. 2 turkey hunters dead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gentry

Really can't understand how that can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Gentry on May 18, 2020, 01:44:46 PM
Really can't understand how that can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It violates so many rules of hunting safety it's hard to imagine.
It has to be shooting at movement, they can't be identifying their target. 
I can understand a kid making an overeager mistake, but even my 10 year old knows how to identify hen from tom and tom from jake.  You have to see at least most of the bird to do that.
These stats are scary.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Would be interesting to know how many of those are "mistaken for game" shootings as compared to "accidental discharge" shootings.  Hard for me to believe there could be that many mistaken-for-game shootings....

Marc

Far more traffic from turkey hunters with lock-downs in place...  It would seem like a lot of people giving turkey hunting a try that have never done it before as well.

So more people in the field, and more inexperienced people hunting....

I too would be curious to know how many of these accidents were due to accidental discharges, and how many were deliberate trigger pulls, AND how many of deliberate trigger pulls involved fanning, reaping, or any type of decoys...

Even hunting private land, I was hesitant to use jake decoys...  Hunting public, I did not feel comfortable using any decoys.

When hunting public, I got the distinct impression in at at least a couple cases, that sharing the woods with these hunters would be at one's own risk.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tom007

cwb04

Wow - there is absolutely no excuse for "statistics" such as these.  Heartbreaking!

Sir-diealot

I know with my friends son who shot his brother when hunting it was later discovered that he needed glasses badly. I guess when he got his glasses and looked at the skyline he was shocked to see there was separation between the two, I guess to him it had always looked like the melded together. I know what everybody is going to say to that and I completely agree, it should have been caught long before that incident happened by either the family or where I would think it would stand out is in school, I guess he sat all the way at the back but it was still never caught.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sixes

How many are in a normal year.  My best friends brother in law was shot in Penn years ago but an elderly man that fired at movement  Didn't kill him but he did have shot removed from his face and had a collapsed lung

nativeks

Word on the street is the 7 yr old in KS got shot by a poacher from a vehicle with a .22. Recently had to have surgery to search for an infection and remove a bone chip from his brain.

saltysenior

There are many people hiding in the bushes , making noise like a turkey ...some even have a fake turkey near them ...they are waiting to see or hear an approaching turkey ...they have big guns and want very much to shoot a turkey........
  There are also many people walking around making noise like a turkey . they are hoping to hear or sneek up on a turkey . they also have guns and they too want to shoot a turkey.....

This is not a safe situation..
                    MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOOKING AT A LIVE , BEARDED TURKEY , BEFORE YOU SHOOT !!

Turkeytider

I wonder how many were shot, or shot at, while they were crawling around behind a spread out turkey tail, trying for all their worth to look as much like a turkey as humanly possible? While I like to turkey hunt as much as anyone on OG, I don't have a death wish.

Crghss

Would like to see the yearly statistic's on shootings also.

In PA during the 90's fall turkey was really dangerous. Since you could use a rifle AND Shoot either sex. Those shootings where usually fatal.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...