Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I hate weathermen and rabid raccoons! Green light help also.

Started by Sir-diealot, May 15, 2020, 08:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

So last night I got a call from my landlords son and he informed me that his cousin saw what he believes to be a rabid raccoon, this worries me because for one I normally do not go to the blind with a loaded gun because of my balance problems, I guess I am going to have to load the tube and if I see it rack it so that I can shoot the coon if I see it.

Also weathermen lie! The said it was going to be raining all night and into the day with thunderstorms throughout so I slept in. I woke up to bring shinny skies and close to 80 degree weather, perfect for turkey hunting and I missed it! How can people keep their jobs when they are so often wrong is beyond me.

By the way does anybody know of a good green light headlamp that is green light only? My gun has a scope on it so may need some extra light to see the coon if it comes out. I have a green flashlight I am rather partial to and a clip on visor light but would like something with a little more output. Thanks in advance for any help given. I was thinking of something like this for the time being. https://www.amazon.com/Ulako-Zoomable-Spotlight-Floodlight-Flashlight/dp/B07VB4WR76/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&qid=1589589645&sr=8-12&srs=14605132011
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

AppalachianHollers

I've taken to believing that it is worth waking up the earliest you would for a hunt, then check the weather forecast for that day before deciding. I've mistimed heading to the deer stand because I trusted the weather forecast of when a line of storms was going to blow through. When it comes early, you might get trail cam pics of deer bolting as you get close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 15, 2020, 08:43:44 PM
I've taken to believing that it is worth waking up the earliest you would for a hunt, then check the weather forecast for that day before deciding. I've mistimed heading to the deer stand because I trusted the weather forecast of when a line of storms was going to blow through. When it comes early, you might get trail cam pics of deer bolting as you get close.

Problem here is all the weather is forecast from places an hour or more away from me, I live in a place with 295 people in it. I am hoping it is decent in the morning. Any clue on a good green light?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

AppalachianHollers

295 people only? Sounds like heaven right now!

Alas, the only guy I know who hunt predators at night uses a night vision scope. Can't be of any assistance beyond what the internet could tell you.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 15, 2020, 08:56:30 PM
295 people only? Sounds like heaven right now!

Alas, the only guy I know who hunt predators at night uses a night vision scope. Can't be of any assistance beyond what the internet could tell you.

I love this small town, moved here from the city back in 91 back them there were 310 people here but people have moved away.

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Always remember turkey hunter learns to adapt .. rain wear , turkeys will move in the rain. Watch out for that coon, you might need to get good coonhound ....LOL...

bear hunter

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 15, 2020, 09:35:03 PM
Always remember turkey hunter learns to adapt .. rain wear , turkeys will move in the rain. Watch out for that coon, you might need to get good coonhound ....LOL...
Yes we do, but I will not hold onto a metal object in a thunderstorm, not into getting toasted.

Quote from: bear hunter on May 15, 2020, 09:47:43 PM
sounds like my hometown we have 375 people.
Sounds like a good place to live. Well have to head to bed, 3:00 A.M. comes mighty early. Have a good night.

John Koenig:

Southerngobbler

Get up early and go hunting every day. Better to miss a morning of sleeping than a morning of hunting

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 15, 2020, 09:55:25 PM

Well have to head to bed, 3:00 A.M. comes mighty early. Have a good night.

That's one thing in which I don't envy y'all chasing Yankee birds...the sun comes up so stinking early. Shooting light for us in Tennessee doesn't come until 6:00 o'clock, so one needn't get up before 4:00 in most cases.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Southerngobbler on May 15, 2020, 10:01:38 PM
Get up early and go hunting every day. Better to miss a morning of sleeping than a morning of hunting
Like I said above, if there are lighting storms predicted I am not going to go out and hold on to a metal object or sit under a tree, other than that I got as often as the body allows. I wanted to go on Thursday but the body said no.

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 15, 2020, 10:01:38 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 15, 2020, 09:55:25 PM

Well have to head to bed, 3:00 A.M. comes mighty early. Have a good night.

That's one thing in which I don't envy y'all chasing Yankee birds...the sun comes up so stinking early. Shooting light for us in Tennessee doesn't come until 6:00 o'clock, so one needn't get up before 4:00 in most cases.

I get up and go early not because the sun comes up super early, it is that I have a long trip to get there for one and do not see the best and night so I do not go over 45 MPH to get there, and when I do get there because of my accidents and other things I am not the most quiet person in the world so I like to get there early get to where I am going and let things settle down. Sunup is 5:43 tomorrow. It is now 12:19 A.M. and I can't sleep :(

John Koenig:

Turkeyman

The sun comes up at the same time every day...just ask the turkeys, deer and such...they know. It's what we do with our clocks that differs. It doesn't matter to me; I know I want to be at my listening spot an hour before sunrise so adjust my go-to-bed time, driving time and walk-in time accordingly.

Greg Massey

What little lighting i use is built into my cap. I wouldn't hunt without one of these , it has 4 different brightness setting with both white and green little led lights .. I have several of these camo ball caps and use then both for deer hunting and turkey hunting... i do carry very small pen light in my Glenda Green satchel but i very seldom use it..

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeyman on May 16, 2020, 07:14:19 AM
The sun comes up at the same time every day...just ask the turkeys, deer and such...they know. It's what we do with our clocks that differs. It doesn't matter to me; I know I want to be at my listening spot an hour before sunrise so adjust my go-to-bed time, driving time and walk-in time accordingly.
I am sure people have been ticketed for shooting a bit to early because of that thought. To be honest I wish they would just leave things as far as times goes they way they are in the Summer.

John Koenig: