OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 types of turkey hunters

Started by Spurs, May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs

It seems to me there are two types of turkey hunter; "Numbers Guys" and "Experience Guys".  Now I am not bashing anyone or the style that many people use, but I'm curious what everyone else's thoughts are. 

Numbers Guys:
These guys typically enjoy places out west.  They have full strut decoys, fans, shoot 3.5" 12 gauge, and have a minimum of 4 hunting decals on their back glass.

Experience Guys:
These guys will stick to mountains/hardwoods bottoms in the east.  Hunting public and/or Pinhoti apparel guaranteed, obsessed with being light weight, willing to sleep in their back seat for a week, and are more than willing to give advice on the benefits of gaiters. 

Am I missing anything?
This year is going to suck!!!

fallhnt

I have numbers and with that experience.
I hunt out west but I archery hunt, so some states open early.
I hunt public, out west and back home.
I use decoys and blinds or not.
Newest gun I have is a '88 11/87 but I've been using my buddies 870 that he bought when he was 17. The 870 was willed to me,both have been made into turkey guns.
I use upland game load #6.
On occasion I use my .410
I have a faded Mathews sticker on my tailgate to hide some damage and rust on my bed.
I sleep in my truck.
I like Fall hunting best.
Don't watch YT.
Taught myself to turkey hunt.
Hunt woods in IL and MO and cut crop fields.
Pasture and crop fields out west, no woods to be seen.
Use old ,worn out camo.
So I guess I'm in between camps? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

simpzenith

I suppose I fall into the "Experience Guys" category since I can answer "Yes" to most of them.  ;D

- Prefer mountains/hardwoods bottoms? Yes

- The Hunting Public Apparel? I own a shirt and hoodie

- Obsessed with Being Lightweight? If not filming, I would only carry a shotgun and a mouth call

- Willing to give advice on the benefits of gaiters? I don't wear them or see them as being beneficial

Remturkey

And then you have these guys that Will Primos talks about during the first minute of this video. That would be me

https://www.primos.com/web-series/Season-1/The-TRUTH-Episode-10

Happy

I would say you are missing the experience  guys who dont own a lick of pinhoti gear, despise flat brim hats and Instagram selfies, don't have stickers on their trucks and just flat out enjoy hunting challenging turkeys. Just some camo, a turkey call, shotgun and some land with some pressured turkeys is all that's required.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I just like hunting turkeys. I don't feel I'm either one , at my age I'm still learning , i guess I'm still rookie..

jpc1317

I still haven't hit 30 yet but I would put myself in the experienced (I would call it old fashioned) category without owning THP apparel. I hunt out of a Corolla most days so I really just need a decent spot to park and I'm off. I understand the numbers people with big shells and decoys but I like to think I keep it simple.  No matter how you hunt, it's about the chase.  Once you pull the trigger, I've found the fun stops.

guesswho

Must be at least a third type.   I don't see myself I'm either one of those two.   I don't mind numbers or the experience.    I also don't care to much about what others do, or think about what I do.  I don't share many pictures or talk about my hunts very much, especially on a public forum.   I kill and add to the number, I enjoy the experience of doing so, then repeat. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Must  be more than 2 types, I don't fall into either one of those categories.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 15, 2020, 11:06:33 AM
I thought there were at least four types :)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/four-types-turkey-hunters-youll-encounter-this-spring/

I feel like I'm a blend of the camper and the performer. Obsessed with the possibility of a silent tom sneaking, or that in the 20 minutes or more since I last called a Tom moved into earshot.

I would see a lot more action if I moved more than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs

I was really holding out one category..."The Deniers"

These fine gentleman will claim to be none of the above.  While they hold many similarities with previously mentioned camps, they attempt to rise above most common devices.  Their passion for the sport is profound, but often hidden from others through a slight heir in their speech.  :toothy12:

To the gate hours before the first truck is at the local coffee spot, a pack full of oats n' honey snack bars, 5 miles was either a work day or a spent shell, and they typically have that one piece of equipment that reminds them of simpler times.

:TooFunny:

Spurs

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 15, 2020, 11:06:33 AM
I thought there were at least four types :)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/four-types-turkey-hunters-youll-encounter-this-spring/

Now that is awesome!  I've always liked the art work that F&S has. 

No hard feelings toward the deniers...That is the category I placed myself too.  I used to have decoys, but figured out they slowed me down.  I used to shoot 3.5", but came to the conclusion that they were giving me a false sense of security that made me take questionable shots.  I did have a pinhoti hat, but it started to fade and I get free hats from work that do just fine.  I also don't really care how many birds I get in a year.  I have slowly came to the point where I am happier with helping others kill birds.

Spurs

Quote from: Remturkey on May 15, 2020, 10:22:24 AM
And then you have these guys that Will Primos talks about during the first minute of this video. That would be me

https://www.primos.com/web-series/Season-1/The-TRUTH-Episode-10
All the Primos guys fit directly into the Numbers guys.

Bowguy

You're actually missing a lot. The evolution of a hunter, or fisherman for that matter is step one, I wanna get something. Step 2, I want a limit, some guys never leave this stage. Step 3-4 are interchangeable. One is a trophy stage, I want the biggest bird, or I want a certain type, they self challenge themselves. Next is another self limiting type guy, it's an equipment handicap. They use real small guns or bows, maybe stykbow or muzzleloaders. Even among those they're are dif types. Imagine a trad guy using wood or bamboo arrows, stone points and bows they made themself.
Calls, perhaps they want the "best", perhaps they only wish to use something they made.
They are looking to equipment to add challenge.
I don't think going out west has any bearing on it.
Fellows that turn around n teach they say have gone full circle. To them, they're looking to pass it down. Their success is in hooking/helping a newby.
Now you have types that hunt and have limited time, they often kill anything just because they're so limited.
I could go on but there's way more than 2 types