OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 types of turkey hunters

Started by Spurs, May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonasa

I started hunting the hardwoods of the east on public land.
Obtained a lot of permissions on private farms by a handshake and a Dunkin Donuts gift card
Never have and never will pay for hunting, fishing or a lady of the night.
I've been at it almost 30 years and always fill my tags.
Never have and never will have stickers in my windows, that includes sports teams. I only look up to Jesus.
Shot birds with bows, crossbows, .410-12 3.5" lead/HS/TSS, prefer the 12 870.
I carry two pot calls, three strikers and my cellphone in a small pelican box.
Never wore gaiters, even on WIHA Florida.
Shot most birds wearing green or brown carhartt pants and a camo top.
Not against patterning birds and jumping in a blind with decoys, fanning or good ole run-gun.
Never owned or used a crow call or owl hooter, voice gets it done
I don't believe in trophy turkeys, hard to tell what is coming in if its a 2 yo or 5 yo.
I am not above shooting jakes, although I've only shot 6 of them for 10% of my take.
Get as much enjoyment taking others out to shoot birds either in the hardwoods, blind, or reaping. AFTER I shot my two though.

All of the above is "A" way, not "THE" way..

davisd9

What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DUCKDIGGLER

Quote from: davisd9 on May 15, 2020, 12:54:13 PM
What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

SO MUCH THIS!!! Very well said.  :z-winnersmiley:

ol bob

Thought it was just the ones that kill them and the ones that don't.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: DUCKDIGGLER on May 15, 2020, 01:20:19 PM

SO MUCH THIS!!! Very well said.  :z-winnersmiley:

Agreed,  very well said.  Sounds like several guys I know on here.  ;)

Tom007

Great thread. There are many categories of hunters. Me, it's simple. I am so passionate about turkey hunting, the only other passion that is higher is my wife. I start every hunt out stopping in the woods, looking up and thanking the lord for this great opportunity. Every time I am lucky at the harvest, I stop, look up and thank him. It's that simple. And yes, I anticipate opening day like a child walking down to the tree Christmas Day. On my last hunt each spring, I stop in the woods before leaving and give thanks again. Finally, when I am cleaning my turkey guns, putting up my gear and recording the memories, I get Turkey withdrawal knowing I have months before we start over again. We all share this great passion in our own way, it's that thundering gobble that lights the fire in all of us. Amen my brothers and sisters......be well.

g8rvet

bonasa and davisd9 combo is me.  I enjoy helping others kill birds - especially noobs that are family or good friends.  I have not filled a tag a few years working so hard for daughter or son to kill one that I never raised my gun on a bird that was in my range, but not theirs.  No regrets.  I can go buy one at the store if I just have to have a bird. 

Had an awesome year and was the direct cause of the death of 4 toms, but only pulled the trigger on one.  I am totally content with that.

I would rather kill a bird my way, on my terms, than go against what I consider fair chase.  I do not expect or condemn others with different opinions-as long as they are legal AND ethical.  Legally, you can drive around me parking at a dead end and try to beat me to the roosted bird, but that ain't ethical.  Make no mistake, I want to tote out a bird as bad as the next guy, but it has to be by my rules.  The object is to kill a Tom, but it is not the end all be all. 

Turkey hunting is something I love in the spring, but I also like ducks in the fall and fishing the rest of the year.  Although I am somewhat long in the tooth, I have not been at it that long.  I still enjoy the challenge and learning on every hunt and every season.  There are old dogs that can teach me as well as young pups.  And I am happy to share what I have figured out too with others.  I will not be lectured to unless I ask.  If you don't like my rules, make your own.  I don't care. 

I have also learned this is a great site with some awesome folks. And the very few that irritate me, I just ignore and all is good.  Have fun and be safe.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Had to think about this topic a bit.  Conclusion:  there are a lot more "divisions" of turkey hunters than just two.  However, sticking to that concept, to me there are two fundamental types of turkey hunters.  There are "dedicated" turkey hunters,...and there are "casual" turkey hunters.

Many, if not most, here on OG probably fall into the "dedicated" classification.  We are students of our passion, spending the time necessary to perfect our skills in all of the various disciplines of the art,...shooting, calling, woodsmanship, and knowledge of the biology, habits, and habitats of our quarry.  In addition, we allot the time necessary to "know" our turkey woods and be prepared for when the time comes to actually go hunting. 

Those that fall into the "casual" classification have not been "bitten by the turkey hunting bug", so to speak.  That could be due to lack of interest, or lack of adequate experience.  Either way, those folks just do not take the time needed in one or more of the "disciplines" of turkey hunting to have long-term, steady success at it.  Turkey hunting to them is a "pastime", not a "passion". 

To me, the "dedicated" classification can be broken down into many sub-categories,...some of which have been hit upon by others,...some, not so much.

PharmHunter

Excellent post, unlike the thread starter's. 

Hobbes

What does "out West" have to do with anything?

Old Timer

I think we all like to fill tags. Here in NY we are limited 2 spring,1 fall. If your into numbers you have to hit the road. Myself I prefer hardwoods hunting, hills valleys or bottoms does not matter. But at my age them hills are getting harder. That said i love the experience of any good safe turkey hunt like the one i had last week that the bird circled and came in spitting and drumming from behind. And i closed the deal. Making memories! Good luck and safe hunting!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

crow

Old Timer

MNGobbler

Some really good posts on this thread and enjoyed reading all of them. I would just say the types are endless and while each of us may have similarities in these types we really are each individual in our own way. If you hunt legally and ethically then your way of hunting turkeys is what you determine for yourself. Everyone gains satisfaction from their hunts in different ways and that is ok. IMHO i don't believe their is a right or a wrong way as long as it is done legally and ethically.