OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TN Turkey Limit Thread

Started by LRD, May 12, 2020, 08:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perrytrails

I hope it is reduced. Ohio has waited too long in my opinion.

Ours has always been 2, we need ours reduced to 1.

I'm sure others will say no, but something needs done. Our public land deer and turkey populations are hurting.

LRD

Today is the last day to email TWRA.  Make your voice heard both to TWRA and the commission.  I feel like the commission has the most pull at this point.

LRD

I emailed the chair of the commission asking about public participation at the meeting next week (5/28 and 5/29).  He said that public participation would be allowed but may not be able to be inside the building the entire time due to social distancing rules.  Public participation at these meetings have seemed to have the most pull over the years.  I just thought that I would check if it would still be possible due to the current circumstances, and it will be.

The meeting will be at the Cool Springs Marriott in Franklin.

J-Shaped

Thanks for the updates LRD. I know it's merely anecdotal evidence, but judging from what I've seen online and just within my circle of turkey hunting friends, it appears they're getting a lot of public feedback. I know folks who would never consider contacting the TWRA or their commissioner that wrote letters to them this year.

LRD

Quote from: J-Shaped on May 19, 2020, 10:54:55 AM
Thanks for the updates LRD. I know it's merely anecdotal evidence, but judging from what I've seen online and just within my circle of turkey hunting friends, it appears they're getting a lot of public feedback. I know folks who would never consider contacting the TWRA or their commissioner that wrote letters to them this year.

I would encourage anyone that can attend the meeting in person to do so to voice his or her concerns.  In the past, in person has had the most pull.

muskyjunky

Quote from: perrytrails on May 14, 2020, 12:57:28 PM
I hope it is reduced. Ohio has waited too long in my opinion.

Ours has always been 2, we need ours reduced to 1.

I'm sure others will say no, but something needs done. Our public land deer and turkey populations are hurting.
Im not sure about a blanket 1 bird per season in Ohio, But I do not hunt public as you specified. Myself I don't care for the all day hunting, but I understand it is to increase opportunity for people. It's just not for me. Turkey will always be a 0 dark 30 til noon thing for me.

shatcher

I just saw where the TN harvest was 40,000 birds this year!  TN had been in the 28,000-30,000 bird range.  That's way too much of a year over year increase.

Any idea on the time of those upcoming TWRA meetings?

LRD

I think the meeting starts at 9am on 5/28. The location is listed above, and public input will be allowed. The meeting should be live streamed as well.

I agree that TN killed a large percentage of birds this year that will hurt the next few years. I hope I'm wrong, but numbers have been declining in many areas of the state.

Cowboy

I know for a fact that 3 nonresident hunters harvested 8 longbeards between them. One guy got his 4, one guy got 3. last guy got one. He was a new hunter however. Only his second bird ever. That's just too many. However, at least they traveled over most of the state. Not just one area.

LRD

Thursday and Friday of this week will be the meeting to decide.  Email your commissioners and attend if you have an opinion either way.

shatcher

I had a couple of them get right back to me.  That may or may not mean anything.......  Will you post how they vote?

LRD

Yes sir, the meeting will be streamed live via the TWRA website and put on youtube afterwards for viewing.

shatcher

What's your gut tell you, LRD?  We had 40,000 birds killed here this season.  That cannot be sustained.

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: shatcher on May 26, 2020, 05:43:28 PM
What's your gut tell you, LRD?  We had 40,000 birds killed here this season.  That cannot be sustained.
You didn't ask me, but they might bet there won't be a total lockdown next spring, and consequently there will be a dip in harvests next year mainly because of fewer hunting days spent afield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRD

Quote from: shatcher on May 26, 2020, 05:43:28 PM

Based on watching the April meeting and recommendations from TWRA, they will still propose to reduce the limit to two and delay the start of season two weeks in only the Southern Middle TN and MS River counties.  I don't see them recommending anything for the remainder of the state.  In the meeting, they acted like the record kill this year was no big deal and that everything would be back to normal in a year or two.  It may not be a big deal in some areas, but lots of areas have been hit hard due to all of the time off.  The 40k kill is not a function of more birds statewide but a function of more time afield equating in a larger percentage of birds killed.  I hope that I am wrong, but I see it hurting some areas for a long time if nothing is done.  Lots of areas are starting to see the same issues that the Mid TN counties did several years ago where there are flocks of turkeys everywhere to basically none all across those counties in a matter of a year.  The sky isn't falling, but there are many areas that are hurting for whatever reason due to poor poult recruitment whether that be mother nature, predators, gobblers getting killed before peek breeding, or all of the above.  I do know that the Commission is getting a lot of pressure from many different angles, however, there was a lot of pressure in 2018 as well with nothing done.  I really don't know if the Commission will vote to make a change statewide.  I would say maybe a 50% chance.