OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pinpointing drumming  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Pinpointing drumming
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
Yes. They can drum without strutting. I used to have a wild turkey that would sit on my lap and drum. His tail feathers would fan out slightly and he would fluff up a little while he was doing it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 05:26:42 PM »
I can still hear drumming further then most folks I’ve hunted with through the years .
   I seem to feel it more then hear it . I’ve never been able to pinpoint it either , just get a general area it’s coming from .  It’s fooled me more then once .  Move gun towards the drumming only to have him appear way to left or right of my prediction.

Offline rgref522

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »
happens everytime i hear him one way and he comes from another.  the calmer the conditions the easier i can pinpoint them also listening for other sounds

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »
Do not believe I have ever heard drumming, It could be a bearing issue for me since could not hear it in the video Marc posted

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 11:25:22 AM »
Do not believe I have ever heard drumming, It could be a bearing issue for me since could not hear it in the video Marc posted
Could also be below the frequency range of whatever you are listening on.  My laptop or computer's built in speakers don't reproduce those low frequencies well at all.  But the drumming is very clear on my truck's sound system or even half decent headphones.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2020, 10:09:19 AM »
Thank you, that could be true.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2020, 04:08:48 PM »

As said earlier...find yourself a power transformer...they're 60 HZ....drumming is probably closer to 50 HZ. But...if you can hear the transformer you should hear drumming. Just concentrate. If you can't hear the transformer you're SOL. The majority of people with hearing loss is at the higher frequencies rather than the lower.

P.S. Years ago before I knew what to listen for I know I heard drumming, but didn't recognize it and would prematurely leave a setup...most likely spooking a bird in the process.  Now I know, and concentrate trying to hear it. Really pays dividends. I have hearing loss at the higher frequencies, as most, but hear the lowers fairly well.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2020, 05:34:22 AM »

As said earlier...find yourself a power transformer...they're 60 HZ....drumming is probably closer to 50 HZ. But...if you can hear the transformer you should hear drumming. Just concentrate. If you can't hear the transformer you're SOL. The majority of people with hearing loss is at the higher frequencies rather than the lower.

P.S. Years ago before I knew what to listen for I know I heard drumming, but didn't recognize it and would prematurely leave a setup...most likely spooking a bird in the process.  Now I know, and concentrate trying to hear it. Really pays dividends. I have hearing loss at the higher frequencies, as most, but hear the lowers fairly well.

I hear the 60 Hz hum of a transformer just fine.  Used to work around them all of the time.  Just have never picked up on a turkey drumming in the woods. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2020, 08:35:55 AM »
I've never heard drumming in the woods. Even when a hunting partner told me he could hear it. I think it happens at too low of a register for me to hear. I can't even hear it on videos. But I did hear it on some of Lovett Williams recordings.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2020, 09:27:04 AM »
For me, its much less hearing the drumming, and more becoming aware of the drumming. Like its suddenly everywhere around me. Its not like you hear a gobble - and think that's a gobble. Or hear a whipper-will - and think that's a whipper-will.

I just suddenly become aware I'm immersed in the drumming vibration. And that's when the adrenaline dump happens because I KNOW he's close, super close, my rational thinking brain turns off, and I too often do something stupid, like move my head to try and pinpoint him.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
The only times I've heard drumming, it's been at Danger-Close distances, and it invariably means I've got an immediate shooting opportunity.

For some reason, I had 2 such experiences this past spring during my pre-season podcast.

The first incident was on 3/28; I had a gob roosted close to my blind, so I planted the mike and moved a safe distance off.  The gob pitched down and tried to make love to the umbrella mike.  See [urlhttps://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=8303]The Mistaken Gobbler [/url]

The second incident was on 4/4:  The gob came up directly behind me.  See Yute Hunt, 2020

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 04:49:01 PM »
I can hear the drumming from around 60 yards or more depending on the terrain - one hell of a sound in the timber when it echoes off a hillside with the gobbling. It's a positively prehistoric set of sounds, but I only get a very vague notion of where the bird is - basic points of the compass type stuff. Hard to pinpoint with any level of detail in my limited experience.

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 09:43:27 AM »
Great Thread!!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »
I hear both and love it. It pumps me up more than a gobble , hence my username lol.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
For me, its much less hearing the drumming, and more becoming aware of the drumming. Like its suddenly everywhere around me. Its not like you hear a gobble - and think that's a gobble. Or hear a whipper-will - and think that's a whipper-will.

I just suddenly become aware I'm immersed in the drumming vibration. And that's when the adrenaline dump happens because I KNOW he's close, super close, my rational thinking brain turns off, and I too often do something stupid, like move my head to try and pinpoint him.

This right here. I think a lot of people expect to hear a sound, and while you can hear it, you can feel it almost as much. To me it's more like a vibration. I think some people that say they can't hear it don't recognize it. It's very hard to describe in words.