OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fintlock gobbler FINALLY!

Started by adkmountainken, May 10, 2020, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

What a ride the years have been for me in the turkey woods. and finally taking one with flintlock was an unreal experience! i wish everyone could feel the love and excitment i do of turkey hunting. i actually feel bad for you if you have never experienced a boss gobbler playing cat and mouse with you at close range. strutting, gobbling, challenging you to kill him! i can tell you my friend there is no feeling in the world like being up on a mountain 5am listing to the owls hoot which sets off a boss gobbler and gives away his location. you close with in 150 yards if possible maybe stop at 200 as not to bump him. find a nice, huge oak tree, set at the base with your back to that tree that is so much older then you its not funny. settle in, take out your thermos, watch and listen to the world come alive. as first light peaks over the ridge old Tom Foolery begins to sound off in all his glory. you smile knowing your about to lock wits with such a majestic, incredible and worthy adversary. he sounds off again, now double and triple gobbling! you realize there are know hens roosted close Lord O Mighty it might be my day let the game begin! you check your prime, pick the flash hole wipe your flint clean. finally he hits the ground and gives the first gobble off roost. you wait, make him anxious like he is all alone, let him gobble again. now you give just a couple very light yelps.... GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE hear hears you. you shut it down know, gun on knee, adjust yourself where you think he will approach, silent as can be. 10 minutes go by you begin to wonder did he see me???? did i do something wrong??? did i.....GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE just over the knoll it about blows your hat off and the hair on your neck raises! you can hear him walking now...spitting.....drumming....THERE HE IS at 60 yards full strut dragging his wing tips head changing from blue to bright white like a light bulb. you can see his eyes searching his head bobs as he takes a few steps and goes back in to full strut. a crow calls and he lets rip with a thunderous gobble at 30 yards!!!!! you have positioned yourself well by a small dip, he goes out of sight on the other side, you pull back the flint heart pounding out of your chest so bad you can barley keep control. at 15 yards you see his bright white head crest the small knoll. your ready and give a quick, soft help and he stops dead brakes strut and pops his head up for a look.....BOOOM the woods if full of white smoke your legs are so cramped you can barely get up but even though you can't see him through the could of smoke you can hear the tell tale sign of "the flop" and you know this mountain monarch has sang his last song. when this feeling ceases to flow through my blood my time on Earth no doubt has come to an end.....

fishr64

Nice read and Congratulations!!

1iagobblergetter

Congrats. Great story & Pictures..

Greg Massey

AMEN,  awesome story ... congrats on one fine gobbler .... I so agree it's the love of the game and killing is second. Nature at it's best ...

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, would like to hear more about your muzzle loader, have looked at a TK2000 but would much prefer to find a flintlock, it is the only muzzle loader normally used that I do not have.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Old Timer

Wow beautiful! Nice job. That flinter looks like a lot to tote. Did the job nicely. Congrats!

RutnNStrutn

Awesome!! Good story, and great job with the flintlock. At 15 yards you could probably have clubbed him over the head with that long smokepole!!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

knifeshark

Super job, and a really great looking smoke pole you got there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Congratulations

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bear hunter

crow

Congrats on your gobbler with your flinter, good job.

AppalachianHollers

Congratulations! And earnest thanks for sharing this with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Congrats on a really nice gobbler

adkmountainken

thank you all very much for the kind words! turkey hunting is a tie with my love of black powder both are a passion of mine and fit together like a hand in a glove. i had killed 4 turkeys previously with cap lock this was my first with flintlock.  the gun is a 10 gauge Club But Fowler with a 46 inch barrel, commonly found in my area many years ago. built to my spec's by Roy Stroh. i was using a load of 90 grains FF, hornets nest for wadding over powder ( common wadding of the times)  1 1/2 ounce pf #5 shot topped of with more hornets nest for wadding.  this load was giving me 10-15 pellets in the head and neck area at 20 yards while doing some range shooting which is fine with me because no matter what i shoot i will not shoot much over 20 yards. that bird went from field to pan in a matter of hours and my 4 year old daughter enjoy some breaded and fried wild turkey with me.! i also saved the bones from his wings and i'm almost finished with two 3 piece wingbone calls to commemorate the hunt, the memories will last forever!

adkmountainken

my buddy named my gun Fudd the day he looked at it and said "are you kidding me that looks like something Elmer Fudd carries!" and it stuck.