OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: MN. Longbeard  (Read 1401 times)

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
MN. Longbeard
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »
   Well, after having to cancel both my NE. and SD. hunts do to this Covid 19 stuff, and after taking my grandson and son out hunting for their birds, they each got one by the way, my turn here in MN finally came. Got out Thursday morning for a couple hours and had one bird go back and forth with me for over a hour before he left me in the lurch. Got out yesterday morning and had a hen in my set-up for over 4 hours! She just would not leave. Never had one stick around that long before. On 3 different occasions she got with-in 10 feet of me. Between her clucking, and yelping and purring, and my occasional calling, I thought that gobbler from Thursday would show up, but he never did. Heck, I never even heard him that day. It started snowing around 10:15 and never quite until about 6. By the time it was done we had about 3 inches on the ground. May 9th it's not suppose to snow that much! It's all melted off now thou.
   This morning I went to a different spot where My son and I went a couple weeks ago. He got a longbeard there, but there where several other birds gobbling around us that day. Started walking in to this spot on public land where there is an old field. It's about a 3/4 mile walk back to this spot, and about 1/2 way back to it a coyote started barking and howling which got a gobbler to shock gobble. He was roosted right where we wanted to set up so we had to sit on the opposite end of this old 40 acre field from him. At flydown, this gobbler flew down right into the field by where he was roosted. He was hot! He must of gobbled 50 or more times on the roost and on the ground. I only had to call to him twice and he came in on a slow but steady march strutting and gobbling and spitting and drumming all the way across the field right to us and my 2 DSD hens. I had my grandson with and I believe he was more pumped up then I was. He said he thought he was going to have a heart attack his heart was pumping so hard! It was a text book hunt. Heck, it took longer to walk in and out then the actual hunt took. Pics are posted on our score site.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: MN. Longbeard
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:51:01 PM »
Awesome. For once a coyote does something good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:16:30 AM by xarcher »

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
Congrats I bet neither your grandson or you will forget that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BBR12

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »
That's one you wont soon forget.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »
Sounds like an incredible morning! Congratulations.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
Heck of a hunt. Huge congrats

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
Awesome... Congrats!

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 08:55:13 AM »
Great hunt, but turkeys and snow aren't supposed to mix! I suppose it does keep the meat cool.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.