OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wrapped up our Nebraska 2020 spring season!

Started by huntineveryday, May 10, 2020, 02:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntineveryday

While this COVID-19 stuff changed our hunting plans, I was fortunate and was given permission to hunt some areas close to home. While scouting I found a lot of mature birds using the areas. We were able to get out after and make the most of the opportunity.

My oldest is 8, and he took one bird each of the last two seasons. He filled his first tag quickly, about 25 minutes into the first set!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

We got him a second permit and hit it again the next weekend. At first Huntley wanted to wait for a mature bird, but after watching two  Jake's gobble and attack the decoys for several minutes he decided he didn't want to wait any longer! Tag #2 filled!

huntineveryday

Then he wanted his third tag! Why not, we can't do anything else right now, right? We got a third permit and found a couple of toms hanging out mid-day. We ditched the blind for this hunt and had to sneak in close for a little run 'n gun. I had the toms headed our way when I called in some hens from the other direction and they started pulling the toms away! We were able to sneak in behind the group, keeping the toms behind a little with calling, finally able to get Huntley a 20 yard shot from kneeling with shooting sticks. He made it count! That's tagged out for my 8 year old!

huntineveryday

Now it was my turn to hunt! I had found a thick-bearded tom scouting, but he stayed henned up and wouldn't come in for Huntley and I in the morning, so I grabbed my 4 year old and went out for an evening hunt trying to catch him coming back to roost. We were entertained with hens strutting and attacking the decoys, as well as jakes attacking the decoys, and finally by this guy strutting in and attacking our jake decoy. It was right at the end of shooting light, but we got him!

huntineveryday

I went ahead and got my second tag and made it out for a morning hunt last Thursday. I had found an area while scouting that birds were strutting in shortly after fly down. I had hiked in to hunt it twice, but both times left to chase toms gobbling further down the creek. With continued sign in the area, this time I decided to stick it out and ended up shooting this tom. He stayed pretty silent, gave me 2 gobbles before fly down and only a couple more after I had been cutting back and forth with a hen for about 30 minutes. That hen actually gobbled at me more than the tom did that morning!

JeffC

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

huntineveryday

I purchased my last tag and went out yesterday morning. I hiked in to hunt close to a roost I'd seen birds using, but all the gobbling was coming from down the creek. Low and behold, no turkeys in the tree where I was! I was able to get down to the other birds and sneak in pretty close before fly down. I set up kind of around the corner from where they flew down, and after about 15 minutes of calling I had the flock coming around the corner to the decoys. This guy was leading the flock spitting and drumming. He's a fighter too, had one spur knocked off! He filled tag #3 for me, which wraps up our season.

This season played out a little differently than I was planning, but it turned out to be one of the most memorable I've had. Watching my oldest grow as a hunter is pretty fun to see, and I was able to get my 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son out several times as well. My daughter now wants to shoot a turkey of her own next year, and my youngest has been gobbling all around the house playing turkey hunter for three weeks now! I've got him hooked!

Tom007

Yoteduster

Awesome time for you and your kids memories forever congrats

3bailey3

1iagobblergetter

That's the only positive to the Covid is getting to hunt more with our kids that are home from school. Dont have to miss a little school or wait for the weekend now..

knifeshark

Congratulations on that truck load of birds! Looks like it was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk