OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey hunting clothes?

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 10, 2020, 08:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Each year at the end of turkey season I evaluate what I did and how I can make improvements for next year.  I know it's a little odd, but this time I want to change how I dress when I go turkey hunting.  I've got 2 issues and 1 request below.  I'm into whatever.  Bibs, coveralls, chaps, shirts, pants, jackets, hoodies...

1. Turkey hunting apparel for cold mornings.
2. Need something relatively briar proof or briar resistant.
3. No-brainer, go-to, comfortable turkey hunting clothes that most folks like.

The briar issue is mainly because my son and I wear leafy camo.  If you want a tangled mess, getting stuck in briars, and carrying half of the briars back to the truck stuck to your clothes then leafy "3D" camo is for you.  Main thing I liked about it was that I could spray it down with permethrin and wear it over anything else I was wearing, including work clothes.  Personally I just push through briars with reckless abandon and my skin looks like I've been in several physical confrontations with bobcats and lost.  It's not the pain, blood and scratches for me, it's the getting tangled up, caught and snagged.  My son is completely briar averse and the leafy camo just exacerbates it.

Stuff is going on sale soon and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Thanks!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sir-diealot

Why not get something you could pack in and put on when you get there? Keep it in a small backpack.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

fallhnt

Get a HECS suit. They are warm on cold days. Cool on hot days. Briar proof. But best of all you don't send out you "vibe" to game animals.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Quote from: fallhnt on May 10, 2020, 08:45:44 AM
Get a HECS suit. They are warm on cold days. Cool on hot days. Briar proof. But best of all you don't send out you "vibe" to game animals.

X2 .. he needs the armadillo version of the HECS suit ...

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: fallhnt on May 10, 2020, 08:45:44 AM

I looked at these per your comment.  I'm not getting a brush/briarproof vibe.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

g8rvet

I too like the leafy, but I only wear the top.  I wear camo or dark brown cotton duck bottoms (knock off carharts).  The shrubs are not leafy at the bottom anyways.  My SIL wears the pants and he drove me nuts this year not wanting to walk through places where there were briars and stickers.  I hardly ever get anything caught in the upper and I hunt a lot of thick North Florida swamps.   

I add long johns under the pants if needed for a cold morning.  I also have a fleece vest for upper body warmth.  It can warm up quick here, so layers are a must. 

I am in love with my Under Armor top.  great color, cool on hot days and is fairly warm when long underwear is worn under it.  Liked it so much I bought one for the men in my family for christmas one year and I noticed that is there go to for much of the season. Bought it on ebay and it was very reasonable. Chesapeake is the style I think. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Crghss

I layer with fleece underneath. Remove a few layers when moving put back on while sitting.

I like Under armor and mossy oak.

I wore out my leafy outer wear. Need new stuff. Don't know why I never thought of taking off while moving.

They still make HECS?
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

roberthyman14

I have a nomad shirt I love.  Thin and the back is breathable mesh.  If it's cool I throw my scentlok Savannah jacket over.  Its thin and smooth so it doesnt make much noise.  Pants are Magellan thin. I think cotton.  It doesnt usually stay cool. Maybe the first week then it's hot.  Briars dont matter to much as my snake boots take the brunt of that.  Since I've switched to a lounger style chair I sit still way better. Not really worried with leafy wear. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Military spec pants and moisture wicking long sleeve T-shirts are my go to.  I always keep a camo hoodie or heavy button shirt .  Layers are your friend. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

I think a lot of clothing choices are dictated by the region you hunt. I personally love merino wool shirts and jackets. This year our temps have not gotten above 55 degrees where I hunt. Most mornings have been at the highest 38 degrees. Having a good warmth to weight ratio and breathable is nice. I really like the browning wasatch pants and shirts as well. Quiet and comfortable are my requirements. I have ordered several pairs of pants I am not wild about because of how noisy they are. The banded midweight technical turkey pants come to mind. I love the design and layout but hate the material.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Marc

I agree with Happy and Gooserbat in their layering comments...

In California, cold weather is generally not an issue for spring hunting, but this season the early spring turkey hunts were colder than most of my duck hunts.

My preference for briar resistance and comfort is military fatigue pants, wool Merino undershirt, polyester camo top, with a heavy fleece top, or fleece lined hunting top...  As the temp warms, I shed clothing, and if I need to travel, the extra clothing goes into my game vest...  If I kill a bird, I remove the clothing, and wrap it around my waist.

Also, if I know I am going to cover some ground, I remove my outer layer while I am on the move, and put it on again when sitting (before I feel chilled).  This reduces sweating, and basically improves overall comfort...

I cannot wrap my head around dealing with that leafy crap in the country I hunt...  Bulky, catches on brush, and collects briars...  And, I seriously doubt that there has been a single bird I have bumped off that would have come to the gun had I been wearing it.  But, I am hunting in brushy, greened up areas, and my opinion could be made to change given different terrain and different difficulties....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Mine is not bulky at all.  It lets air breathe right through it and I am around briars all the time when hunting in the swamps.  Never really worried about it much.  I think it just makes me feel better though with the 3D effect.  If ya move, you will still be busted.  I really like the pouch on the front more than anything.  A catch all for quick access stuff.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

310 gauge

I totally agree with layering. I stuff a camo hoodie in my decoy bag as back up for that pre-dawn chill that usually happens when you've just settled in. If I have a long walk in, which usually is, I take my hat off to avoid sweating also. Our season just ended here in Eastern N.C. and it was nice and cool the entire five weeks. Only needed a thermacell three times because of the temps. and wind. Great hunting weather and I'm already missing it!