OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Six Year Old Son's First Turkey

Started by nebgoosehunter, May 09, 2020, 05:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebgoosehunter

I can't even begin to describe the morning we had.  I decided to get a tag for my six year old son just to try it out.  He shot my single shot 20 ga. for the first time on Wednesday and did well enough that I thought it may be worth trying to take him.  My dad, my son, and I got on a high spot shortly before legal time and listened and located some birds on the roost. Got in pretty close to them on the roost, but couldn't see them in the tree as the timber was pretty thick. We set up on a little ridge that had a trail going right across the top. The birds were right below us on a spur ridge maybe a little under 200 yards. Birds started pitching down and I could barely see what looked to be mainly hens heading away from us. I figured that was the norm for me and no surprise so I got aggressive with the calling. One deep raspy voiced hen (boss hen I presumed) kept calling to me and I saw her appear in a meadow and instantly start heading our way. Two toms appeared shortly after and followed behind that hen but I lost sight of them below the ridgeline that was in front of us 10 yards. The hen poked her head up right in front of us and I assumed the toms would be right behind her. Apparently they took a different less direct route straight up that spur ridge. They appeared at 30 yards almost to my left on the trail but as soon as they saw my jake decoy they both went in to full strut and gobbled and ran the rest of the way in. I had to coach him to keep his left eye closed and to keep the bead on his head and as soon as they separated enough I told him to shoot him. Looking back I feel like I was probably rushing him in case the bird got nervous and took off quick, but truth is that bird wasn't going anywhere. He laid the hammer on him at six yards and blew half his face off. I wasn't expecting to decoy any birds right to the decoy when I set up and we didn't have many options as the birds were getting ready to fly down so the decoys were a lot closer than I would have liked. However it made a nice easy shot for him. Instantly the other tom flew away and my dad tried taking some hail mary shots through the timber while flying away to no avail. We were only slightly bummed that we didn't get both but it was all about my son and his first bird. What a way to be spoiled on his first turkey hunt, calling them in off the roost and having them come in so nice, we'll all remember that for the rest of our lives. We did luck into 7 mule deer sheds and a heavy 5 point elk shed. Benjamin's luck must have been strong as the only shed he found was the elk shed. I'm so thankful for a morning like we had!

Yoteduster

A day that you all will remember for ever congrats to your son on a great gobbler

Bridger

Congratulations to the young hunter and good job Dad!  What a memory.

Tom007

Congrats to all involved, memory priceless

Greg Massey

3bailey3

fishr64

Congratulations to the young man!! Quite a day to remember.

1iagobblergetter

JeffC

Congrats, 3 generations making great memories,  priceless
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Beards and Hooks

Very impressive congrats to the little guy and very nice looking backdrop on your picture!

GobblerReaper

Awesome! Huge congrats all around and way to keep our lifestyle alive and well!

Jroddc

gdc23

Not a very photogenic bird, but a wonderful morning !!! Congratulations to 3 generations

Muzzy61

Congrats to the young man and you. His smile says it all....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr