turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So answer me this shot ounces

Started by SinGin, May 03, 2020, 01:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

I have a question regarding shot loads in shotgun shells. I've never reloaded them before so please excuse my ignorance on them. If you have a shell with 1 3/4 ounce of shotand a shell with 2 1/4, obviously the second one has more pellets by a 1/2 ounce correct? So wouldn't that be more of an advantage for the hunter?
Thanks Sam

StruttinGobbler3

You are correct, for instance a 2oz load has twice the weight of shot as a 1oz load. As far as advantage, it depends. A heavier load will have less velocity, as well as more recoil. To regain some of that velocity a larger powder charge must be added, but not to the point of creating dangerous pressures that could damage the gun. With that larger powder charge comes, again, increased recoil. Also, just because a shell contains more shot than another, does NOT mean it will pattern better. Same with shell length. There are some 3 inch turkey loads that will significantly outpattern some 3.5 inch loads, even though they contain quite a bit less shot and powder. It all depends on how the shell is made, and if your gun and choke combo like it or not. Many variables here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Dr Juice

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on May 03, 2020, 01:54:25 AM
You are correct, for instance a 2oz load has twice the weight of shot as a 1oz load. As far as advantage, it depends. A heavier load will have less velocity, as well as more recoil. To regain some of that velocity a larger powder charge must be added, but not to the point of creating dangerous pressures that could damage the gun. With that larger powder charge comes, again, increased recoil. Also, just because a shell contains more shot than another, does NOT mean it will pattern better. Same with shell length. There are some 3 inch turkey loads that will significantly outpattern some 3.5 inch loads, even though they contain quite a bit less shot and powder. It all depends on how the shell is made, and if your gun and choke combo like it or not. Many variables here.

Well said and i concur.

ltprod

Good question and great answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yelper

Quote from: SinGin on May 03, 2020, 01:15:16 AM
I have a question regarding shot loads in shotgun shells. I've never reloaded them before so please excuse my ignorance on them. If you have a shell with 1 3/4 ounce of shotand a shell with 2 1/4, obviously the second one has more pellets by a 1/2 ounce correct? So wouldn't that be more of an advantage for the hunter?
Thanks Sam

That would only be true if the same size shot was being used. You see a lot of the TSS shot loads being less in oz size and shot size and has more pellets than a lead shot with more ounce load in a larger shot size.

Example- My tss 20 ga in #8.5 shot 1 5/8 oz has more pellets than a 12 ga 2 1/4 oz #5 load. Not sure if that was were you were going or not.

#4 SHOT
2.5 oz - 208 pellets
2.25 oz - 186 pellets
2 oz -  166 pellets
1 5/8 oz - 135 pellets
1 3/8 oz - 114 pellets

#8 SHOT
2.5 oz - 635 pellets
2.25 oz - 570 pellets
2 oz -  510 pellets
1 5/8 oz - 410 pellets
1 3/8 oz - 350 pellets

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Yelper on May 03, 2020, 08:08:38 AM
Quote from: SinGin on May 03, 2020, 01:15:16 AM
Thanks Sam

That would only be true if the same size shot was being used. You see a lot of the TSS shot loads being less in oz size and shot size and has more pellets than a lead shot with more ounce load in a larger shot size.

Example- My tss 20 ga in #8.5 shot 1 5/8 oz has more pellets than a 12 ga 2 1/4 oz #5 load. Not sure if that was were you were going or not.

#4 SHOT
2.5 oz - 208 pellets
2.25 oz - 186 pellets
2 oz -  166 pellets
1 5/8 oz - 135 pellets
1 3/8 oz - 114 pellets

#8 SHOT
2.5 oz - 635 pellets
2.25 oz - 570 pellets
2 oz -  510 pellets
1 5/8 oz - 410 pellets
1 3/8 oz - 350 pellets
Extremely good point. I didn't consider that when I typed my above answer.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

SinGin

Both good points and and helped me to understand. I guess I never really thought about the more powder needed for more shot. I just always figured more is better.

Marc

Great discussion with some great information being presented!

When comparing shot payloads, you need to compare similar shot sizes and materials...  But all else being equal, a bigger payload (for a given shot material and size) will reflect more pellets in that shotgun shell (although not necessarily in the pattern).

Being a wing-shooter, and a clay shooter, my thought process is that I want "more than enough" but not "way more than I need" when it comes to payload... 

Recoil plays havoc on one's shooting, and those "hot loads" will push you around a bit.  Granted with turkey hunting, you are firing one round (on a good day), and we do not "feel" or even notice that recoil at all when we hunt.  But at some level we are aware of it, and any volume of shooting with such hot loads will likely effect most shooters shooting....

And remember, that the shot, the wad, & the powder all count towards the payload as far as recoil is concerned...

Watching YouTube videos, and seeing hunters miss (such as on the Hunting Public), I have to wonder if some of that is not "recoil related" missing?  Let's face it...  Shooting a turkey on the ground at 30 yards with a shotgun, is not a challenging target.

As much as I spend on gas, gear, and time, I am shooting a denser shot material (#6 Hevi-shot).  It patterns tighter & holds energy better.  I am not a fan of the "special" wads being shot out of super tight chokes...  I have previously shot 1 1/4 oz # 6 Hevi-shot out of a standard full choke and have never wounded a bird.  I switched this season, cause I used up the loads, and got a good deal on 1 1/5 oz loads of #6 Hevi-shot.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.