OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Full strut mount cost

Started by lmbunch69, May 02, 2020, 08:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

Was fortunate enough to tag my first gobbler this morning. Went ahead and got him to the taxidermist for a full strut wall mount. Cost is gonna be 550$. Is this a good price? I guess the whole corona thing has the taxidermists in my area closed. Called every one within an hour and only got ahold of 2.

bigbird

Bowguy

Doesn't matter where you live it's really too cheap. Hope the guy is good. I did taxidermy full time and turkeys take a long time and are lots of work. Idk what he's doing w the head but that alone could be 100 bucks cost to him. Add skinning, washing, drying,  tumbling, sewing, glueing, injecting feet, bondo,  carding tail and wings, caulk, plus the costs for those things, preening, repairs, base/base work, manikin, wire, habitat for base, hazardous material fees on the degreasing, painting, he's still gotta pay himself, every business ought to add profit, you think 550 is right???

Cowboy

I just killed my best spurred gobbler Tuesday. Called our taxidermist to check it out. I'm in Illinois.  This guy is extremely good but it was going to be $835!! We got my daughter's first gobbler at a different taxidermy shop.  He charges $650. If you want it done right expect to pay more cuz nothing is worst than a sorry looking turkey mount. I know cuz I got 3 mounted over the years and I can pick apart everything that does look correct about them. Heck, they were done back in the 90s and believe I paid in the $350 to $375 range back then.

High plains drifter

Between 8 and 9 hundred. Don't get the fake head, and feet.

lmbunch69

I live in southern Indiana. Shop I took it to is called clearwater taxidermy in Louisville. His work looked good in his shop and he had many turkeys in to do. I was quoted 900 by the other shop and went with this one. Just hope it turns out.

Gobble!

Ask to see some of his other work before you commit to him mounting the bird if it's not too late. I wouldn't expect much for $550.

Hobbes

The effort required to remove flesh and fat from the skin on a turkey is worth  several hundred alone, especially if it's done all wire wheel.  It's not a job for the weak minded or those with a weak stomach.

WAGinVA

As inmost things, you get what you pay for.

Wvdanimal

Add in the time and labor trying to keep a full strut mount clean and dust free and 800 will seem cheap.   Not for me !

310 gauge

My son has one drying now and his is costing 850. The original head was sent up North and is re-done for 125.

RutnNStrutn

Wow!! I guess I haven't had one mounted in a while. $800-$900 is the going rate nowadays?

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Bowguy

Guys truth is at 8-900 it's still fair. They're lots of work, believe me

GobbleNut

As has been noted, the prices for a turkey mount can vary a bunch.  So can the expectations of the hunter on how he expects his bird to look.  Regardless of the quoted price, anybody getting a turkey mounted should ALWAYS take a look at the taxidermist's work before making the decision to get a bird mounted by them,...or not.

Some folks want a flawless mount (which I can tell you there are only handful of guys across the country that can do that),...and if that is what you expect, you better look around very carefully at who you use.  You can also expect to pay handsomely for that quality because it requires a lot of time and effort to achieve. 

However, many hunters are satisfied with a mount that is "good". but not necessarily "perfect".  In fact, I think most hunters fall into this category.  Again, there is a balance to be had between cost and expectation.  I personally believe that $550 is a reasonable price,....IF the taxidermist is competent, and YOU are not expecting a museum-quality mount. 

Having said that, there are taxidermists about that are not competent in mounting turkeys but want to charge a lot for a lousy mount.  Those are the guys that hunters should steer clear of. 

AGAIN,...ALWAYS check out their previous turkey mounting attempts before committing to them!

WorkingBirds

Quote from: Gobble! on May 02, 2020, 11:35:51 PM
Ask to see some of his other work before you commit to him mounting the bird if it's not too late. I wouldn't expect much for $550.

I agree, check some of his other work out. It only matters if your satisfied with what your paying for.