OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Opinions on tactics

Started by High plains drifter, April 27, 2020, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I was hunkered down in the brush, buy a slough, waith gobbling all around, and at fly down I heard a sound like a big bird flapping his wings in the brush behind me.I was calling,  and I figured a gobbler would show up on the crick.I was thinking about moving to see what that wing beating was, but I didn't want that bird to bust me.So 2 Jakes showed up across the crock, and they came into range, and I capped one of them.Should I have risked messing up the whole thing, by moving on that big bird that was maybe 20 yards away?

Spitten and drummen

Me personally would have just sat tight and let things play out. If you are happy with the jake , thats all that matters. I don't shoot them so I would have been fine going home empty handed. I would not have moved and risk spooking a gobbler in that instance. Did you hear drumming? If it was a good bird it is possible he would have worked on past you and you could have gotten a shot. If not , you could wait on him to drift off and changed positions on him and possibly killed him or worked him from a different set up. Thats how I would have played it personally.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

1iagobblergetter

I would have passed on the Jakes and also let it play out,but that's me. It's your hunt you couldve easily went home empty handed or possibly with a longbeard. If you really like to eat turkey alot and don't care what you get you made the right decision. My personal preference is passing on jakes and it doesn't bother me to prolong my season or go home empty handed if I can't shoot something I feel likes worth shooting. 

Gobble!

I wouldn't have shot the Jake and let things play out. If your happy with a Jake then what's there to second guess? 

guesswho

Sounds like the morning was just starting to unfold.   I'm in the sit tight group and let things play out.  But I don't fault anyone for filling a tag that they bought and paid for.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

High plains drifter

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 27, 2020, 10:11:05 PM
I would have passed on the Jakes and also let it play out,but that's me. It's your hunt you couldve easily went home empty handed or possibly with a longbeard. If you really like to eat turkey alot and don't care what you get you made the right decision. My personal preference is passing on jakes and it doesn't bother me to prolong my season or go home empty handed if I can't shoot something I feel likes worth shooting.
I agree, I should have waited I guess.I don't usually shoot Jake's, but I could not tell at 6,30 in the morning. He had a 5 inch beard. I thought about low crawling through the brush to see what that wing crashing was.Im pretty sure it was a big bird.I didn't have a decoy out.Some punk stole my decoy, and my bow release out of my camper.I wish some extreme bad luck on that guy! Anyway, I don't like to second guess myself,  but I agree, I acted to soon, I should have let it get lite out, or maybe moved.

High plains drifter

Also, I might add, this bird had a full fan.I would post a pic, but it wont let me.I add appreciate the comments.I didn't want to drive as all the way back,  empty handed. I was in thick cover, maybe I should have set up in a more open area?

Jstocks

Full fan is mature bird.
At least from my perspective.

Don't get hung up on beard length. Did it have blonde tips?

Greg Massey

I agree with most, sit tight and see what happens. Pass on the Jakes

Goblen

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 28, 2020, 03:32:27 PM
I agree with most, sit tight and see what happens. Pass on the Jakes
X2. This, simple as that. I don't shoot Jake's. We have a management program established on a few different pieces of private. More Jake's means more longbeards for next season.easy math. But for the ones that don't care if it's a jake or longbeard. Im happy for you. Congratulations

High plains drifter

Thanks for the input everyone,  I know there are some experienced hunters on here. I guess I should have waited it out.I had never hunted this place before,  and it was public. Maybe if I had a decoy out, that big gobbler would have strutted down by the crick?  I was hunkered down in thick cover.I don't believe in sitting out in the open, against a tree.  They can see for a mile, and I have a lot of respect for the eyesight of a Turkey!!

Tail Feathers

Moving on a bird 20 yards away is almost always gonna be a loss for the hunter. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 29, 2020, 11:28:16 AM
Moving on a bird 20 yards away is almost always gonna be a loss for the hunter.
X2!!!  You'd have to have some super thick cover to not get busted!
I'm also with the sit tight and let things play out group. I shot a few jakes early in my career, but haven't shot a jake in many years. But I also don't fault anyone who wants to shoot a jake. I'm of the opinion that if it's a legal bird, and you want to take it, then have at it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hobbes

It's difficult to assume what you should or shouldn't do from your description.  "Hunkered in the brush" is a fairly general explanation of a set up.  In most cases you need to be able to see and be somewhat comfortable from a set up.  I prefer to put a tree at my back and not close myself in a bunch of brush.  Sit still and let the tree break up your outline and your camo do its job. 

Wing beats are no indication of a big gobbler.  A set of wing beats from any turkey sounds big.  It could have simply been the Jake's or a hen either flying down or setting the pecking order straight.  I don't try to move on a bird at 20 yards unless I can see it to know when to move or I know that I'm blocked from their view.  As far as shooting jakes goes, I prefer not to.  Any Jake that I shoot at this point in my life is a case of mistaken identity.

GobbleNut

Quote from: High plains drifter on April 28, 2020, 09:07:36 AM
Also, I might add, this bird had a full fan.

So, are you certain the bird you shot was a jake?  Mature gobblers can have very short beards (or none at all).  What did the spurs look like?  ....Short, nubby bumps or something more developed?
If you only heard the bird behind you and did not see it, are you certain that one of the two birds that showed up across the creek was not the one you heard?  Regardless, the "full fan" comment makes me curious as to what kind of turkey you actually shot.  Got any pics of the gobbler showing fan, beard, and spurs?....