turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Shells

Started by Seahunt, April 27, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seahunt

What type of shells do you use?  I have been using Hevi 13 #6 for years and have done me right. 

Seems the big hype now is the TSS??

Just wondering what everyone else is using.

KYHeadhunter02

Following....I shot my last Hevi mag blend Saturday and need to restock. Unfortunately it didn't hit the mark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

zelmo1

I am down to 2 Federal heavyweight #7's, my favorite load ever. I reloaded some TSS #9's that shoot well. Hopefully we will see their performance Friday. :funnyturkey:

RutnNStrutn

I went from Winchester Hi-Velocity #4's for several years to Longbeard #5's the last few years, and this year I switched to Apex TSS Small Town Hunting Blend for the 12 & 20. I'm always looking to improve my pattern.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ElkTurkMan

3" 2oz Hevi-13 #6's. 

DMTJAGER

Used Winchester Heavier than lead shells for quite a few years and watched them steadily go up in price to the point of a 75% increase. Then along came Winchester Long Beards XR's and I used them first year they came out and that's all I have used since then.

Use 12ga 3.5" 2oz's of #5 shot and get patterns at 40 and 50 that are nothing short of astonishing and at $20 for a box of ten they are IMHO unbeatable.

A few years back did a side by side pattern test of my 870 super mag with a Carlson's XR choke shooting 2oz loads of #5's VS my friends BPS 10ga shooting Remington 2oz loads of buffered #4's and at 40 and 50 yards using only a Browning factory XF choke.
Both guns were shot from the bench both had 26" barrels only real difference is my friends BPS-10 had the factory XF choke. 

The difference in patterns at 45 and 50 yards had to be seen to be believed. The Winchester LB/XR's dramatically outperformed my frineds BPS-10 and #4 Remington turkey loads.

I shoot Winchester LB/XR's out of both of my 26" 870/SM's, and my 26"Benelli SN and 26" 835 all with Carlson's XR chokes and they throw consistent and devastating patterns out to 50 yards and beyond.

Unfortunately Winchester does not make their LB/XR's in 10ga.

guesswho

I'm on the Foxtrot ammo train now.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Which Gun

Longbeards 3 1/2" in #5's in 12ga supermag. Federal tss #9's in 410.

POk3s

The only loads i could get to pattern well out of the handful I tried was hevi shot. I've used the mag blend for years with great results. This year i got my hands on some hevi 13 and they pattern identical to the mag blend for half the cost so i may make the switch. Federal is showing promise out of my gun as well.

jordanz7935

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Hevi #6's are a great turkey load, provided they pattern well in your setup. If your looking to save a little $ go with the longbeards, if your looking to extend your range a bit id recommend Apex tss. I'm currently shooting hevi 6's in my 935 but rarely carry the 12 ga anymore.

High plains drifter

I use 1 7/8 oz.. lead BB'S, OR 2'S.

Greg Massey

Federal HW 7 in my 20 gauge ..

2eagles

Greg Massey

stinkpickle

I'm still burning thru my stockpile of Hevi #6s and #7s.  It's going to take a while.