OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Shells

Started by Seahunt, April 27, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: guesswho on April 27, 2020, 02:00:58 PM
I'm on the Foxtrot ammo train now.

A recent convert, Mini Twister 8.5's.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Brad_23

First year hand loading tss .. wish I had done so years ago

wchadw

Quote from: Brad_23 on April 28, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
First year hand loading tss .. wish I had done so years ago
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

2.5oz of TSS hand loads.

Turkeytider

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on April 27, 2020, 01:07:12 PM
3" 2oz Hevi-13 #6's.

Me too. Great load in a 12. My gun`s also patterned for Longbeard XRs which I would not hesitate to shoot.

Dtrkyman

Started hand loading tss 3 or 4 seasons ago, mostly due to wanting a light weight gun and also inconsistent factory loads.

I highly recommend loading your own, extremely simple and the consistency is awesome, I had zero experience in reloading and bought some shot from Hal () and he sent me load data and detailed instructions.

The stuff is everything it is hyped to be, I have taken a pile of birds with it and performance has been fantastic, though have yet to kill one at any distance, longest maybe 38 yds, most are 20-30 and could be killed with a dove load, but it is nice to know I can cleanly kill one at 40, the 40 yard pattern is crazy good! 

kdsberman

Just shot my last Nitro Hevi 7 H517's, which i really liked, so Im finally getting into handloading TSS like ive wanted to for like 3 or 4 years.  Just ordered my TSS shot from Hal and am waiting on the load data so I can order the rest of the stuff I need.  I've never loaded a shell a day in my life, and am really excited to start doing it.

model94

3" Hevi 13 #6. Excellent pattern out to 40 yards. I still have 3O shells left so.it be awile before I try TSS.

Dr Juice

Quote from: model94 on April 29, 2020, 12:08:31 AM
3" Hevi 13 #6. Excellent pattern out to 40 yards. I still have 3O shells left so.it be awile before I try TSS.
I use the same shell and am stocked up as well.

tha bugman

Federal TSS #9's in my Mossberg 930 or Apex #9's in Ol Gal (Remington 870)

Old Timer

Mossberg 835, #5 lbxr and xx#5. Set up Beretta A350 for my son with Federal mag shok #6 I had stowed away Safe hunting!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Old Timer on April 29, 2020, 08:45:07 PM
Mossberg 835, #5 lbxr and xx#5. Set up Beretta A350 for my son with Federal mag shok #6 I had stowed away Safe hunting!
The kind that go bang when I pull the trigger. 35 yds is a long shot for me so I'm not to hung up on shells. Just give some 3" copper plated lead in #4 or #5 and I'm good to go.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

LRD

I shoot hand loaded TSS #9 in a 20 gauge.  I switched to a 20 gauge for a lighter gun and less recoil.  The TSS in a 20 gauge results in as good or better performance as a 12 gauge.  If I was still packing my 12 gauge, I would still be using Winchester Longbeard XRs in 6 shot.

Cottonmouth

Quote from: DMTJAGER on April 27, 2020, 01:54:30 PM
Used Winchester Heavier than lead shells for quite a few years and watched them steadily go up in price to the point of a 75% increase. Then along came Winchester Long Beards XR's and I used them first year they came out and that's all I have used since then.

Use 12ga 3.5" 2oz's of #5 shot and get patterns at 40 and 50 that are nothing short of astonishing and at $20 for a box of ten they are IMHO unbeatable.

A few years back did a side by side pattern test of my 870 super mag with a Carlson's XR choke shooting 2oz loads of #5's VS my friends BPS 10ga shooting Remington 2oz loads of buffered #4's and at 40 and 50 yards using only a Browning factory XF choke.
Both guns were shot from the bench both had 26" barrels only real difference is my friends BPS-10 had the factory XF choke. 

The difference in patterns at 45 and 50 yards had to be seen to be believed. The Winchester LB/XR's dramatically outperformed my frineds BPS-10 and #4 Remington turkey loads.

I shoot Winchester LB/XR's out of both of my 26" 870/SM's, and my 26"Benelli SN and 26" 835 all with Carlson's XR chokes and they throw consistent and devastating patterns out to 50 yards and beyond.

Unfortunately Winchester does not make their LB/XR's in 10ga.
Even before tss, I've never understood why anyone would lug around a 10 gauge.