turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for public land suggestions for states that border Indiana

Started by DMTJAGER, April 26, 2020, 11:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

My two boys really enjoy turkey hunting, especially sneak and peak, run and gun style. I live in Indiana and you are allowed only one spring turkey and would like to try a state that borders on Indiana to extend our season and opportunities to hunt and would like some suggestions that between IL. WI. MI. OH. IA. that have large areas of public land turkey hunting that will give us an opportunity for a quality hunt. Southern states like KY TN or MO are simply a little to far as due to school they can only hunt on weekends or possibly a three day weekend. I care not if I'm successful or even hunt, these hunts would be primarily for my sons and filling two tags VS 3 makes it all that much easier.

I am limited to about a 4 hour or less one way drive.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

joey46

First see what States will allow non-residents during this panic.  IN still has school?

BigSlam51

Ohio isn't accepting non residents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

Quote from: DMTJAGER on April 26, 2020, 11:51:41 PM
My two boys really enjoy turkey hunting, especially sneak and peak, run and gun style. I live in Indiana and you are allowed only one spring turkey and would like to try a state that borders on Indiana to extend our season and opportunities to hunt and would like some suggestions that between IL. WI. MI. OH. IA. that have large areas of public land turkey hunting that will give us an opportunity for a quality hunt. Southern states like KY TN or MO are simply a little to far as due to school they can only hunt on weekends or possibly a three day weekend. I care not if I'm successful or even hunt, these hunts would be primarily for my sons and filling two tags VS 3 makes it all that much easier.

I am limited to about a 4 hour or less one way drive.

All help would be greatly appreciated.
Illinois and Iowa you'd have to have drawn tags for, Ohio is out. Your  best bet is WI out of the states you mentioned.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

fallhnt

If looking for anything this year.....good luck. If it's open its getting hammered by residents and NR alike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

DMTJAGER

I now realize I neglected to specify my search for public land hunts for the 2021 spring season next year NOT this season.

Essentially all I am looking for is large public land areas regardless if they are draw or walk on for a non-resident hunter that usually has sufficient numbers of turkeys to give hunter willing to work as hard as needed with above average skills a decent chance of calling in a bird or two for his sons, especially ones that do not get obscene amounts of pressure. Once I am made aware of the land I will take it from there.

For the last three years in my home state of IN, I have been turkey hunting a minimum of a 3 hour ride from home so a three hour drive or slightly longer also puts me in into deep into IL, as well as into parts of OH, MI, WI, and IA. and that is why I am considering them. I know no one who hunts areas outside of IN. so that is why I am asking for suggestions.

Thanks for the responses so far.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

All of them,

Illinois has a lottery that you need to get into if you want a site specific tag. Otherwise the Shawnee is large and rugged!

djrcm7

If youre planning for 2021, then you should put In for both Illinois and Iowa. Good states with lots of birds. Southern MI has some large chunks of public that hold birds. More on the west side. There are several small tracts that are hit or miss. Just gotta give em a shot and see if you strike up birds. Mi has very little variation in terrain so working turkeys there can be challenging but none the less a good state to hunt.
Med student from MO

Vintage

Ky has a lot of public land (WMA's). Tag's are over the counter. Look up KDFWR on the net. This year it's closed to OOS hunters.

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: fallhnt on April 27, 2020, 07:02:19 AM
If looking for anything this year.....good luck. If it's open its getting hammered by residents and NR alike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
^^^This^^^ Our TN public land hunting is absolutely crazy with hunters this season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk