OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mouth call help  (Read 2312 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Mouth call help
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:39:06 PM »
I am currently using a Primos Hacked off Buzz Cut that sounds very good with what I think is just the right amount of rasp. I am looking for some advice as to what else may sound good. I have a right of center airflow. Most anything with cut on the right sounds fair to good. But with so many different manufacutres and custom cuts I am looking for some sugestions. Also what call wold be good for the Kee kee run? Thanks
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Pluffmud

Re: Mouth call help
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
Others will correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm sure. I'm new to mouth calls within the past 3 years. As with other things, you just gotta set aside some money and buy a bunch of different  calls. Probably for every 5 calls I buy, I find one that I like. I've found that i favor certain cuts and certain brands. I can't say enough good things about Woodhaven mouth calls. For me, I've found that I run very aggressive cuts with 3 or more reeds the best. I believe as a general rule, the more reeds the deeper the tone, and the more aggressive the cut, the more rasp. As for kee kees, I've found that the less the reed is cut and the fewer reeds in the call, the easier it is to kee kee (in other words a straight single reed with no cut would probably be easiest), but the less rasp. I have two ghost cuts that kee kee fairly well too. I'm at the point now that I can kee kee fine on my aggressive cuts. Practice practice practice.
Psalm 46:10

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mouth call help
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:40:09 PM »
Others will correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm sure. I'm new to mouth calls within the past 3 years. As with other things, you just gotta set aside some money and buy a bunch of different  calls. Probably for every 5 calls I buy, I find one that I like. I've found that i favor certain cuts and certain brands. I can't say enough good things about Woodhaven mouth calls. For me, I've found that I run very aggressive cuts with 3 or more reeds the best. I believe as a general rule, the more reeds the deeper the tone, and the more aggressive the cut, the more rasp. As for kee kees, I've found that the less the reed is cut and the fewer reeds in the call, the easier it is to kee kee (in other words a straight single reed with no cut would probably be easiest), but the less rasp. I have two ghost cuts that kee kee fairly well too. I'm at the point now that I can kee kee fine on my aggressive cuts. Practice practice practice.

I appreaciate  the feed back. I have invested a considerable amount in different calls. The primos and hooks have done well by me but I thought I Would see what is working for everyone else before I blindly purchase more calls. I can do a pasable kee kee run but it is not essential as I do not fall hunt although I will take a turkey with my bow during early archery season on occasion. I will give Woodhaven a try. I beleive Scott Ellis is on their prostaff and I frequently watch his videos. Agian thank you for the feedback.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.