turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So I Missed Today!!!!

Started by Bottomland, April 26, 2020, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Been hunting a couple birds in a particular hardwood bottom and got my chance at them today.  Ended up missing somehow.  I dont know how but I did.  Walked it off at 41 steps.  I dont know what happened. Been replaying it in my mind since then.

Anyways its over....... now what?  I did pick up some feathers but searched the area throughly and never found him. 

Whats the next step?  Y'all think those birds will come back to that area?  There were two of them and only shot at one. Did I bugger them up bad you think?  Ill get one more chance at them this coming weekend on the last weekend.

Timmer

Misses happen, but hopefully not often.  From a hunting perspective, go back at it.  They will stick around.  However, I would check your gun and pattern it just to make sure everything is ok.  One year when I patterned my gun before the season I couldn't believe how far off my red dot was as I never had to adjust it year after year.   Later in the field I happened to notice that my magazine cap holding my barrel in place on my pump shotgun was loose so of course I tightened it.   I didn't get a shot that year but I'm glad I didn't.  When I got home the fact that I had to adjust my red dot and the barrel was loose stuck in my head.  I went and patterned it again and my sights needed to be adjusted back to where they were in the first place.  Lesson learned!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

I don't think they are going to be as playful as they were today. But you just have to stay at it ...

Goblen

If it was me I'd get back in there. I'd use a different call and a different location to call from. Good luck

Gobble!

Saturday I had a buddy miss at 7. That bird was hot again at 11. I would not hesitate to get back in there.

RutnNStrutn

If you hunt long enough, it's gonna happen. Keep at it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

appalachianassassin

Lol... I've missed 4 of em this season.

captfire

I KNOW YOUR PAIN I MISSED THIS MORNING AT 40 YARDS IN THE THE OPEN I DON'T FILL BAD IT'S THE FRIST TIME FOR ME I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY HE WILL LIVE TO GOBBLE . HANG YOUR HEAD HIGH IT HAPPENS LOL..

High plains drifter

I did miss a flying bird one time, about 20 years ago. 50 yard crossing shot, in heavy wind.I still should have made that shot.

Bottomland

Ill be back to them this weekend.  We will see what happens.

Checked the Burris and pattern.... everything checks out.  I guess I just pulled the shot.  bound to happen eventually I guess.  When they strut for an hour in front of you have you have to watch the entire time for them to get in range it really ramps that heart rate up.

perrytrails

Just don't let it get in your head

Just don't let it get in your head

Pattern your gun for confidence.
Get your head down on the stock.
Get in a habit of it, red dot or not.
Use the starvation bead.
If I miss my family will starve.

Did I say don't let it get in your head?

Go get em...

Tom007

You did right, you rechecked your gun, you gave it a few days. As everyone above said, get in there, reposition, and absolutely use a different call, and cadence. Good luck.....

tha bugman

He will be harder to kill but not impossible!  Keep at it!

Swenny

I missed a strutter from about ten yards a couple of years ago and just sat there stunned for about a half hour, lol.  You did good by checking your gun, and patterning it.

The end of the story from two years ago, I got a great Tom the next morning in the exact same spot.  Odds are good it was the same bird I missed the afternoon before.  Get right back on the horse, my friend.

BTW, if you want to know how I missed, check out a vitals sillouette of a strutting tom vs not in full strut.  I know darn well I shot into the feathers of his upper back, especially since he was coming in pretty hot when I shot.  I don't shoot at them until they're out of strut now.

https://bowhunters.proboards.com/thread/6133/turkey-shot-placement-diagram