OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Turkey w/ Marble Sights Pattern  (Read 3966 times)

Offline gobbler725

New Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Turkey w/ Marble Sights Pattern
« on: April 24, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
Fellas,

I ordered a new Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Turkey gun with the Marble Arms Bullseye sights and patterned the gun yesterday.  I was pretty disappointed with the POA/POI out of the box.  At 20 yards, my pattern with with field and turkey loads was 8 inches high and 4 inches right.  I have patterned my fair share of shotguns, and was pretty surprised to see how far off the gun was at 20.  I threw some Tru-Glo Pro-Series Magnum Gobble-Dot sights on and got it dialed in.  I might put a red dot on the gun, but regardless, I've never had a gun with the bead or factory sights that far off.  Could be unique to my gun, but wanted to give any potential buyers a heads up, that you may be adding different sights to your set up.  That being said, the gun shoots a great pattern @40 yards with 3 in, 1 3/4oz #9 Federal Premium TSS.  I originally planned to add an Indian Creek .675 to the gun, but don't think it is necessary for shots out to 40yds.  Although it's always my goal to get turkey as close as possible, I would take a 50yd shot with this combo and feel confident.  Happy Hunting

-J

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: New Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Turkey w/ Marble Sights Pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
I have had a couple of Remingtons that did that. Never seen a Mossberg do it. Send it back.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 06:04:39 PM »
I had a Mossberg 500 12 gauge that had a similar POA / POI issue as your 835. Own a 500 in 20 guage now and it shoots pretty close.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
My 835 out of the box was 4 inches low and 4 inches right.  Added a Red dot, problem solved.

Offline gobbler725

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
My season is ending early due to some work travel, but I'm gonna send it in once I'm home.  I'll be adding a red dot for next season, but still feel like it shouldn't be that far off. 

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 11:50:10 AM »
Brother you switch loads it’ll shoot different. Most turkey guns shoot off.
Just a heads up. We don’t speak of shots over 40 yards as per rules

Online vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:54:16 AM »
My 500 20ga, 535, and 835 were all off several inches out of the box. Hevi 13, Longbeards, and Federal TSS were all impacting the same spot.
I put on the same tru go pro series sights as you and that fixed the poa/poi problem on all three guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 04:30:04 PM »
I sent an 835 back years ago for poi/poa issues, they replaced the barrel, problem solved.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
Fellas,

I ordered a new Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag Turkey gun with the Marble Arms Bullseye sights and patterned the gun yesterday.  I was pretty disappointed with the POA/POI out of the box.  At 20 yards, my pattern with with field and turkey loads was 8 inches high and 4 inches right.  I have patterned my fair share of shotguns, and was pretty surprised to see how far off the gun was at 20.  I threw some Tru-Glo Pro-Series Magnum Gobble-Dot sights on and got it dialed in.  I might put a red dot on the gun, but regardless, I've never had a gun with the bead or factory sights that far off.  Could be unique to my gun, but wanted to give any potential buyers a heads up, that you may be adding different sights to your set up.  That being said, the gun shoots a great pattern @40 yards with 3 in, 1 3/4oz #9 Federal Premium TSS.  I originally planned to add an Indian Creek .675 to the gun, but don't think it is necessary for shots out to 40yds.  Although it's always my goal to get turkey as close as possible, I would take a 50yd shot with this combo and feel confident.  Happy Hunting

-J

Follow up?
Did you ever get it fixed.

My dad's old Mossberg 500 shoots 6" at 20 yards. I missed my first spring gobbler in the 80's with it. I didn't pattern it before hand.

Good luck.

Offline 12point

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 09:55:38 AM »
A scope on my 835 changed my shooting for the better,
Sight it in with light loads will save the shoulder it did mine.

Offline Sifers23

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
I am shooting a very similar set up, I use a dot on mine if you add one I cant recommend the weaver mount Mossberg sells on their site enough its great. I have also found the ported factory ulti mag choke patterns great with XR's and the TSS. I am waiting on some federal 3rd degree with TSS and I am expecting that to open it up a little oh and that's a 26" barrel for what its worth.