OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Father/Daughter hunt

Started by hobbes, May 14, 2011, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Olivia decided that she would hunt with me this weekend since Isaac finished up in CO last week.  We had to leave at 3:30 am to get there on time.  Our hike to the area Isaac and I found some birds last week was short, but cold.  There was no wind so I expected to hear birds.  Other than the diesel truck driving down the road and parking past us a 1/4 mile just at the time the birds should have been flying down, we didn't hear a peep.  I was shocked.

As I said, it was cold.  I'd guess 25 degrees.  So, the dreaded words "can we go home" came out of Olivia's mouth at barely 6 AM.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg!!!!

I wasn't really suprised.  Olivia isn't as tough as Isaac, and this is something that just comes with the territory when hunting with kids, but it sure can be disappointing when you've waited in your office all week to make it out to hunt.  My hunts in CO amount to weekends only, and that usually means Saturdays only.  This was only our 3rd time out in the mountains.  However, as I said, it comes with bringing up kids to hunt.  I'm just glad she wants to go.

I decided we'd drive down into town and get breakfast then hit another spot once it warmed up.  I took her to a mom and pop restaurant in town that Isaac likes to go to when we hunt here. By 7 AM Olivia was smiling and eating biscuits and gravy with a side of bacon and a glass of orange juice at the Pancake Patio.  I tried to go lite and went with an over easy egg, bacon, hashbrowns, toast, and coffee. 

At 8 AM we were back out and hoping to find a bird.  We walked approximately one mile up a ridge calling occasionally and listening while trying to locate a bird.  We ended up the next ridge over from where Isaac killed his bird.  I really thought we'd find a bird that wanted to respond even if he didn't come in, but all we could find was tracks on an old forest road.  By the time we made it back to the truck it was 11:45.  I could have kept at it the rest of the day, but no way Olivia could.  Its a good thing we made it back when we did because the thunderstorms that were predicted started rolling over the mountain range by 12:30.

I may be able to get out tomorrow afternoon, but with the NE trip planned, I don't really need to spend the money on gas to drive the hour and a half down there.  I should be hunting next weekend, but may be helping out a newbie with a limited private land tag, so I won't be packing a gun unless we could get him done quick and I could get off the ranch to some NF.  That deal may be falling through, so I may have one more full Saturday, weather permitting, to find a mountain bird for myself.  I think Olivia wants to wait for NE now, so I may be on my own.

Here are a few photos from Olivia's hunt:

Back at it at 8 am

I've walked this far.........Where are the turkeys?

Somewhere out there

I had signal when I checked the time, so Olivia had to check in with Mom

Snack time

With a view........and I know there were some birds out there somewhere

And a nap on the way home

drenalinld

Great photos! Thanks for sharing the story. I have a 7 week old daughter and a 3 yr old daughter that I hope want to go with me.

M,Yingling

great pics ,,, Time well spent together  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TRKYHTR

Those are memories you both wont forget. Keep taking them kids. Thats awesome.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

catdaddy

Always love your pics man!!

LX_Trkyhntr

Great photo's!!  You are a smart man making it fun for her like that, and not pressing it when she needs a break!  Good job!! :you_rock:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Hognutz

Way to go, Hobbes. You done good. It's hard to quit early, but you need to go on their terms, not yours. Making it fun will ensure that she will go again. Next time, a littler warmer, and maybe a little longer.. Well done..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

BOFF

Great photos and time well spent. I certainly understand the frustrations and wanting to hunt when time is limited. Having a daughter as well, it has been ups and downs this season to hunt. One day she wants to go the upcoming weekend, and I plan on taking her, and then she backs out at the last minute.

Regardless, it's the quality time spent with them that matters, and making the time available.

It reads and shows, you already have that one figured out though!!

God Bless,
David B. 

njdevilsb

That's making for some great memories.  Great photos, thanks for sharing.

slawman

thats the good stuff right there....

barry

Good stuff!
Beautiful country.

Divenut2

Excellent story and pics Hobbs. Our kids are the future of our sport, and it is fantastic to see so many folks passing along this great tradition. I plan to take my 10 year old angels out next season. (They've been practicing those calls like crazy!) If it's anything like when we go fishing, they'll take more and bigger ones than I do.   :lol:

Pat

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Uncle Bucky

AWESOME,  thanks for taking your youth hunting, memories  :happy0064:

pullit

great pictures, you will both look back on these in years to come and still have that warm fuzzy feeling you have now.

Basser69

Great pics and story! Thanks for sharing  :icon_thumright: