turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Combo Cut advice needed....

Started by DUCKDIGGLER, April 22, 2020, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUCKDIGGLER

So guys....Im building my own and really dig a Combo cut.

2-Reed Top reed is .003 Green and bootom reed is .003 black side tensioned on FR Hand Jig to .170 with just a small smile of back tension.

I'm definetly a right side air guy and really can only get good front end with a combo cut. I can run a Ghost cut ok but can't get that good 2 note yelp with it.  So my question to you guys is are theyre any modifcations or otehr "right side" cuts I should try out? I usually trim the "stinger" on the left side of the call at a small angle , say 45 degrees. 

What say you guys?  Any other "recipes" I should try in a combo cut that will give me that clean front end?

Thank you all! DD :OGturkeyhead:

DUCKDIGGLER

Anyone? No recommendations at all?
Feel free to message me if you'd rather.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions you can offer.

Thank you. DD :funnyturkey:

Lonehowl

DD...I'm a reverse combo guy...left side air. I make that call and also same call but trim the tip on the top reed to an angle like you. Clearing away that trash lessons the rasp sometimes but helps to get a cleaner front note sometimes.
Edit to say...I prefer 0025 latex, not true proph, underneath. I like an easy blowing call and it works better for me than the black latex.

DUCKDIGGLER

Thank you sir! I will give that 25 latex a try this evening when I break the press out. I am really excited to kill a bird this year with a call I made myself. I wish I started building them years ago!

Much appreciated!

Lonehowl

Forgot to say...yellow top reed is what I like most. Blue is good too.

DUCKDIGGLER

Me likey!  I going to try a touch more side tension but I am digging it so far.

Thank you LH!

GobbleNut

Another possibly hint for combo cuts is to off-set the starting center V-cut for the combo towards one side or the other.  For some, that can make a difference in the sound quality. 

DUCKDIGGLER

Gobblenut....thnak you for teh suggestion. I will give that a try sir.

HILBY72

I make a reverse combo cut with 2- .003 latex over 1 proph. I have a hand jig that was machined by a friend of mine, it has no gauge on it but side tension is 1/4" and all I do with back tension is a very slight smile. Sounds good to me and the turkeys seem to like it, I also snipped the corner off the wing.

DUCKDIGGLER

Thank you HLBY.....I'll give that a go. I'm making a few right now. Much appreciated!