OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mossberg sa-20

Started by captfire, April 19, 2020, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captfire

any one use a Mossberg sa-20 if so what choke do u use I got one i'am wanting to play with to see if I can make it a turkey gun out of any help would be great I've tried a Carlson's long beard I didn't get much out of it my full choke shot better ...

Greg Massey

First what turkey shells are you wanting to shoot , this will help in determining what choke you will need.

captfire

sst if I can find them if not long beard 3 inch # 6

Greg Massey

Quote from: captfire on April 19, 2020, 09:01:57 PM
sst if I can find them if not long beard 3 inch # 6
Sorry i can't help you , good luck ..

Greg Massey

slicksbeagles1

I have a weatherby SA08 which is virtually the same gun. I use a IC .555 and a JEBS .565 which shoots Hevi13 #7 and FEDERAL TSS #9 great. Winchester LBXR are good. In my opinion for the money the Weatherby SA08 is a great Gun.

captpete

The Mrs. is shooting a SA-20 Bantam(24" barrel) using LBXR 6's. She isn't very experienced at shooting. I wanted to open up her pattern for closer shots. We tried several chokes and ended up using a Hevi-13 choke(.573). It is a solid 35 yard gun. At 40 yards the pattern is starting to get thin, but will still kill. The pattern at 15 yards is about the size of cantaloupe...giving a little wiggle room. She also has a Vortex Venom on it.

Dtrkyman

I used the factory turkey choke for a few seasons, I believe it is a 580, shot tss handloads quite well and I killed a bunch of birds with it.

Got a deal on an Indian creek 555 and it is impressive, little tight up close of course but enough wiggle room for me, killed my first with it this morning and it is only the second turkey I have ever shot that did not even quiver after shot, looked like he was struck by lightning, 30ish yards.

zelmo1

I use a Sumtoy choke on my Stoeger 20 and it shoots TSS great. I also shoot a Mossberg SA28 and got a XF/Turkey choke from Briley that shoots #9 TSS awesome. I like my SKB 7300 20 ga pump with a custom Briley choke. It shoots Fed #7 heavyweights as good or better that any of my choke/gun combos. I would pick a choke, or ammo and then talk to Sumtoy or Briley to fine tune. Then you shoot shoot shoot till you get the best combo. Ethical kills are what we owe our adversary. Do your part to make sure we all do it right.  Al Baker 

salukigobbler

I've got one, and love it. I use a Carlson's LB choke (.568) and shoot TSS 7s. I put a Vortex Venom red dot on it. The XRs shoot a really good pattern from this setup at 40 yards, and would certainly kill a bird. However, the pattern w/ TSS from 40 yards is astounding. In either event, it's a great gun and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. I love how light it is, and the shorter LOP is great when hunkered up against a tree.