OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Proud family moment in the midst of insanity  (Read 1287 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Proud family moment in the midst of insanity
« on: April 18, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
My oldest son has been my favorite hunting partner since he was old enough to follow me squirrel hunting. He loves it more than all my other kids do. In 2016 he scored a nice Merriam on a hunt we took together in  Nebraska. During his early college years he spent each spring unsuccessfully chasing long beards around my family’s land in MS. Now as a teacher/soccer coach and husband and father of 3 small boys he has been unable to really hunt much the past few years. I have been telling him about a large gobbler I’ve been getting on camera sporadically around his great grandparents place. After much discussion we decided he would break away from his daddy duties and we would hunt together today. The morning started off cold, wet and windy, not ideal turkey hunting conditions and we heard nothing off the roost. We saw one lone hen around our initial setup and after several hours decided to break for lunch and then hit an old pasture where the bird had been seen strutting. Not long after we sat up a very vocal hen came into our decoy set and we watched her with much amusement for several minutes. Suddenly I heard what I thought was drumming coming over my left shoulder. I peered around carefully and saw him standing at the edge of the pasture staring at the decoys/hen. I whispered to my son to get ready for him to come in on my side but the old bird knew something wasn’t quite right and began to drift into the brush and walk away from us. I gave him some purrs on my aluminum pot and he did an about face and came back into the field edge. Just as he cleared the brush my son let my old 12 gauge speak and he flopped at 31 yards. Coronavirus/Covid or whatever, father and son had a huge hug standing over the vanquished foe and the smile on my boy’s
face was something I’ll never forget. Blessed to be able to share this passion of mine with a fine young man that I’m proud to call my son. The gobbler weighed 18 $ 1/2 pounds with 1 inch hooks and 9 & 1/4 inch beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Proud family moment in the midst of insanity
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:20:24 PM »
very nice bird and a good looking son, congrats to you both!

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
Great bird. Huge congrats

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:18:21 PM »
Special day for sure

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:52:44 PM »
Very nice! It is special to hunt with your favorite hunting buddy! I took my grandson, my favorite hunting buddy, out Wednesday morning, which was opener up here in MN., and he missed a bird that morning. This morning I called one in for him and he didn't miss. I get by far more of a kick by him getting a bird then if I shot one myself.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
A great hunt for both of you. Congratulations to him for a nice bird and wonderful memories.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
That’s why it’s so special, nice job and congrats

Offline BBR12

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
That awesome. Congratulations. I’m on the way to MO to try and get my youngest his first bird he is my hunting buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk