OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Stupid Question on Choke and Pattern Range  (Read 2232 times)

Offline DrJaJa

Stupid Question on Choke and Pattern Range
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:11:42 PM »
Dumb question ahead:

I see a ton of posts/pictures of Turkey chokes patterned at 40 yards.  How often are people shooting at 40+ yards??  Field hunting i setup decoys around 25-30, in a ground blind it's much closer ~20 yards where a turkey choke is almost too tight.

When do yall make the call to use a regular full choke vs a turkey choke?

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Stupid Question on Choke and Pattern Range
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
If I’m hunting turkey, a turkey home is in my gun. I know what my gun at choke will do from 10 to however far I feel my gun will ethically kill a turkey, in most cases, 40 yards. If he’s closer, I know I have to be dead on. The 40 yard distance for patterning purposes just keeps everything comparable across the board. It makes it easy to evaluate from one gun/choke/shell, etc. to the next. Like when most people shoot rifles at 100 yards to evaluate/compare groupings. It’s just a benchmark.

Offline DrJaJa

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
Good answer thanks!

Guess my thought is, patterning my turkey Longbeard XR choke at 40 yards is great, but at 20 a miss of 1-2" left or right doesn't put a ton of pellets in the killbox.  Not sure when it's necessary to choke down if you know you're shooting at 20 yards.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
The answer for me was an O/U. Mod choke with 1.25 TSS handload for the open barrel. Good out to 40 yds (110/10) but with a wide and forgiving pattern at 20. Turkey choke with 1.625 oz TSS handloads in the tight barrel (347/10) that is good to...well I don't want to talk about it.

Offline DrJaJa

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »
I think i'll go O/U next year.  I picked up a 20 GA CZ last fall, shoots like a dream, but the full choke that came with it is junk.  Poor pattern at 20 yards.  I'd need to buy an extended Turkey/Modified for top & bottom before i'd take it in the field.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 04:36:14 AM »
If I’m hunting turkey, a turkey home is in my gun. I know what my gun at choke will do from 10 to however far I feel my gun will ethically kill a turkey, in most cases, 40 yards. If he’s closer, I know I have to be dead on. The 40 yard distance for patterning purposes just keeps everything comparable across the board. It makes it easy to evaluate from one gun/choke/shell, etc. to the next. Like when most people shoot rifles at 100 yards to evaluate/compare groupings. It’s just a benchmark.

Well said Matt!!! How ya been?

Offline Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »
I’m still kickin’! Patiently waiting for our season to start. Or should I say semi patiently, lol.