OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Semi Auto 20 GA—What to Get?

Started by gatrapper, April 17, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey y'all,

I'm in the market for a semi auto 20 gauge to use for turkey hunting and some occasional dove hunting. Could y'all point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Greg Massey

How much are you wanting to spend ?

deadbuck

gatrapper

I'd like to keep it under $1000, but I could be convinced to go higher.

I have been looking at the benelli montefeltro 20 gauge. Is that a decent gun?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

guesswho

I like my Weatherby SA459.   But before I bought something I would go and shoulder several different models.    You will find "your" gun that way.   Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

taylorjones20

Benelli M2. Look around and you can find one close to your budget.  They are awesome guns.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Greg Massey

Check out the Tristar viper 20 ga. in bottomland ..

nativeks

Weve got a Franchi Affinity compact and a Benelli Montefeltro in 20ga. I hate the Montefeltro and would sell it in a heartbeat. I like Berettas, specifically the 390 series which is older.

If you watch Dunns had camo montefeltros new for $800. Thats where I got mine. The Montefeltro just sits in the back of my safe now, maybe my boy will want it in the future. I know I will never own another Benelli.

TTG

My opinion, Franchi Affinity.

I love my benelli's, but if you blind folded me and put an M2 and an Affinity in my hands I'd pick the Affinity 10 out of 10 times. To me, it feels much more balanced. The M2 felt very rear-heavy whereas the Affinity felt perfectly balanced. Weight is the same, if it's different I doubt you would ever be able to tell. I'm not saying it would outperform the M2, but I've ran quite a few shells through my Affinity with no hiccups and know many others have done the same. There's no way you could get me to pay almost 2x the price for the M2 over the Franchi.

The only thing I'd say I'm not necessarily a fan of with my Affinity is when the bolt slams you can hear a "ringing" sound for about a second after. I guess its the spring in the forearm. Nothing that seems functional, but just something that is noticable.

bobk

LRD

I have always shot a Remington 870 in 12 and 20 gauge.  I know that several people use the Benelli M2 20 gauge for turkey hunting.  My uncle has a Franchi Affinity that he rabbit hunts with that is a nice gun.  I don't think you could go wrong with either and probably comes down to personal preference on how they fit you. 

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Meatseeker

Jstocks

Zilla

Benelli or Franchi. Shoulder them both and decide. Great guns!