turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico 2020

Started by JMalin, April 16, 2020, 02:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Share your reports here.  I'll be headed to unit 36 Saturday or Sunday and will stick it out as long as I need to in order to fill two tags.

jtsmith3

So far in 16 & 15 it's been a struggle. The birds will gobble once or twice on the limb in the morning and then silent all day. Everyone I've talked to that's seen turkeys said the same thing, real big winter flocks. I saw a single Tom with 17 hens Tuesday morning. Haven't seen a bird since. They're here somewhere. I see poop and tracks. Done lots of hiking, glassing, and driving. Lots and lots of people too. No evening roost gobbles at all.
Nobody said you have to be good to have fun.

GobbleNut

LOTS of peoples in the woods!  Peoples, peoples everywhere!  ...Don't know how many are turkey hunters, shed hunters, campers, ATVers, or what,....but there are a LOT more folks out there this spring.  Supposedly 40% more resident turkey licenses sold this spring. as well. 

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2020, 09:03:08 AM
LOTS of peoples in the woods!  Peoples, peoples everywhere!  ...Don't know how many are turkey hunters, shed hunters, campers, ATVers, or what,....but there are a LOT more folks out there this spring.  Supposedly 40% more resident turkey licenses sold this spring. as well.
My impression as well.  Talked to one of the locals and they said people have been coming in for weeks, many from other states, just to camp out in the National Forest.  Most crowded I've ever seen it.  Went to one spot and it looked like an ATV convention.

JMalin

Not the report I was wanting to here, but will try to hunt lower elevations where the birds may be a little further ahead.  Not thrilled about the reports of all the people either, but I have a few areas that require some lengthy hikes into.

GobbleNut

Good news is there are still gobblers out there.  They're just getting a good, solid education real early this spring!  ....One of the problems we turkey hunters have this spring compared to past is that there are so many campers you don't know who is hunting and who is not.  You might hear birds close to a camp,...and have no idea whether those gobblers are being hunted or not.  I am hoping the forest clears out a bit by the end of the season!

Yoteduster

That don't sound none to good..good luck to all you new Mexico hunters

JMalin

Got in too late to roost birds this evening.  Wind was probably blowing too hard to do so anyway.  Will be treating tomorrow as an armed scouting expedition more than anything else.  I'll be walking into my first spot well before daylight as it takes a good 30-45 minutes to make the climb from the parking area.  I'm sure I'll hear birds and it would be a bonus if I got one to work right off the bat.  If that spot doesn't pan out or the birds go quiet, I'll be checking three other spots I've killed birds in years past to see what the pressure on them is like and will obviously be looking for fresh sign and gobbling birds.

jtsmith3

I still haven't had one gobble in the evening. They didn't answer any shock calls this morning but gobbled a couple times before flying down. A yelping hen was waiting for them and quickly took them away from my calls. I caught up and repeated this exercise two more times before they went silent at 7:30. Sat water til just now. Still no midday response to the shock call. I did get them to answer the crow one time. It was the last gobble I heard.
Nobody said you have to be good to have fun.

dzsmith

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2020, 09:03:08 AM
wow! that is a huge jump. I guess more folks at home
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

sasquatch1

I sure wish I wasn't in a place deemed "essential" this spring!!! I'm lucky I got out enough to kill 2 birds down here, actually working More than normal, won't be off again til season is over most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 20, 2020, 12:41:43 AM
I sure wish I wasn't in a place deemed "essential" this spring!!! I'm lucky I got out enough to kill 2 birds down here, actually working More than normal, won't be off again til season is over most likely
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a word of thanks for your efforts to keep the country running right now,...and to all the others having to do the same.  Hopefully you will be able to get away to hunt one more time (or more) before your season ends.

JMalin

Forest service roads that I'm not used to seeing much traffic on had lots of ATVers and campers.  Only have seen a couple clad in camo though. Vocal hens this morning.  Good roost gobbling and 10-15 minutes after fly down, then the Tom I was working henned up.  As I type this, the hens and gobblers have started getting vocal again.

GobbleNut

Quote from: JMalin on April 20, 2020, 08:55:40 AM
Forest service roads that I'm not used to seeing much traffic on had lots of ATVers and campers.  Only have seen a couple clad in camo though. Vocal hens this morning.  Good roost gobbling and 10-15 minutes after fly down, then the Tom I was working henned up.  As I type this, the hens and gobblers have started getting vocal again.

Sounds like you are in "em and about ready to roll one!  Get 'em!

JMalin

The country is so open that it's hard to move closer and the gobbling is so infrequent that I fear busting one if I try to close the gap a little.  Last gobble was probably 250 yards away.