OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Homemade pattern board ideas?

Started by kdsberman, April 16, 2020, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Hey guys, wondering if anyone would mind posting a picture of a homemade pattern board/stand they built that works for them.  The one I've been using, which is store bought, has started to become more of a pain than anything and am thinking of just building something.

I appreciate it, thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timmer

I have some experience playing around with stands that would hold a 36" role of plotter paper at the top.  I really love that I can tear the used portion and pull down to unroll a fresh section.  After having made 2 conceptual stands out of PVC I turned to wood for the final product.  I haven't taken it out this year but will this weekend and will try to take some pictures. 

Off the top of my head, it's probably 40" wide (fits 36" plotter paper) by 60" high (to get it off the ground).  I used treated decking material as it was relatively cheap and I didn't have to worry about sanding it.  About a foot up I have a piece of wood horizontally for stability, and it's also where I fasten the bottom of the paper using spring clamps. I built short arms off the back with a dowel across and pins to hold the paper roll.  You pull the paper up over the front and use spring clamps to hold it in place at the top.  With it clamped at the top and bottom it's all nice and taut.  Then I made perpendicular legs that are also held with pins.  When not in use I move the legs  up vertically on each side and attache them with the pins so they are out of the way.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bowguy

Never even heard of a pattern board. Don't complicate things. Get an old piece of ply. Staple paper to that n each time you shoot replace the paper. A large box works well too.
Yes it'll get beat up but they're both available free. Go to a construction site and get the ply. It won't fall apart they quickly btw. Even if you blow relatively quickly in the center the edge stays hard.
The box the same thing and they're free standing. The ply I rest against a tree, log or simply screw 2- 1x2s into it to use for ground spikes.
It was harder to write these ideas than do either of the above

captpete

I take 2 electric fence posts and tap them into the ground 3'-4' apart. I then zip-tie a 4'X4' piece of cardboard to the fence posts. I use thumbtacks to hold a piece of red painters to the cardboard. Then I draw on a dot for a aiming point. Change the paper after each shot or what ever suits your needs. One piece of cardboard will last for MANY shots.

You can get the fence posts at the local Farm & Fleet store(maybe even Menards). The cardboard you can get from most any appliance store. I get it from the local grocery store. It comes on shipping pallets to protect certain products from getting torn open/damaged by the wood pallet. Th red painter paper can be bought at most any lumber yard. A roll will last a long time.

Timmer

Quote from: Bowguy on April 16, 2020, 04:19:59 PM
Never even heard of a pattern board. Don't complicate things. Get an old piece of ply. Staple paper to that n each time you shoot replace the paper. A large box works well too.

But that wouldn't have given me another project and excuse to be out in the shed!  Actually, I had a dedicated piece of plywood for a couple of years but it got so beat up you couldn't staple small targets to it.  That gave me the idea to build something.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bowguy

Whatever you build will only be temporary. Why complicate your life just to complicate it?

Tom007

I use a realtor sign metal fame. The ones that are steel, two legs that stick in ground. I cut cardboard that slides in frame grove, works anywhere, and is stable. Best set up I found. Will post pick later after daylight.....
"Solo hunter"

lunghit

I use a wood pallet and staple the paper to it. Just toss it when done and grab another next year to pattern again if needed.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Turkeyman

Agree with all above...don't overcomplicate it. My wife has a lifetime supply of Christmas wrapping paper she gets for almost nothing post-Christmas. Guess where my patterning paper comes from!

Dtrkyman

x2 on the Realtor metal frame, last one I got was a politicians sign, that was fun to shoot up!!! 

Tom007

Pic as promised, this real estate frame is simple, works great.....thx.
"Solo hunter"

strum

Not to hijack this thread but is it possible to catch shot and reuse it?

longbeards

:popcorn:
I use a 25 inch or so roll of brown paper I got years ago,,,from a farmer friend. I have a 10 inch Plexiglas circle I trace on the rough center of the paper and put a orange sticker in the center. Takes about 20 seconds to make a target, then staple it to the back stop at 40 yards from my bench,,,shoot off a lead sled!

sswv

I'm with Tom007.  those frames work great and easy to come by.

idgobble

I use a cardboard box I get at the liquor store. Crown Royal boxes work best.