OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Iowa Limb Hanger

Started by chadly, April 16, 2020, 09:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

First season Iowa runs Monday thru Thursday.  Monday and Tuesday had wind advisories.  I never heard a bird.  Wednesday woke up to an inch of snow and went back to bed thinking they would be wet and quiet.  I went out mid morning for a few hours and they were talking.  It's so exciting to hear a bird after being beat a few days.  I got bird in twice on two different setups.  However in each time while the birds were 25-30 away they seen me before I saw them.  No shots.  Went to work for a while and hit a spot on the way home.  About an hour before fly up a hen starts yelping something fierce about 100 yards away in a field.  She is coming my way and a strutting tom behind her.  She kept running around and he kept chasing her.  I thought I was in the deer stand watching a rutting buck.  She kept yelping and I did my best to duplicate what she did.  Both the tom and her would stop and look my way every now and then.  Finally after about five minutes the tom came in to investigate.  I shot him at 17 paces.  I'm so grateful for this bird as I could not hunt today, the last day of season as I had to get back to work.  Thank you Lord for a fun few days in your creation.

USMC0331

Outstanding

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Congrats on a really nice bird

1iagobblergetter

Congrats. First season has been rough..

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ElkTurkMan

Congrats!  When I lived in Iowa we would always hunt he first season as well.

reflexl

Beards and Hooks

Congratulations nice bird

POk3s

Awesome job on a great bird.

I sure enjoyed my time in Iowa last year and am going to miss hearing those thunderous eastern gobbles this year!

Bagg-it Tag-it

Way to keep after it! It can always change for the better

Gobblerslobber

Congrats! Gotta love those long hooked limb hangers!

Hobbes

Good looking bird.  Congrats.

tomstopper

Congrats.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Congrats!

Our WI season started on Wed, had some luck but weren't talking much until around 10a-11a, then things livened up, sun was out, still cold but it worked.

MK M GOBL

CT Spur Collector