OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2110 times)

Offline sdriggers

« on: April 15, 2020, 08:01:12 PM »
I’d love to start making my own calls but do not want to spend $600 on a jig what ware some more affordable ways to get started. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:15:40 PM »
You could start with a kit that the call has already been turned (Pot call) and you have to do all the sanding, place the soundboard and striking surface. I did one and chose to use a glass soundboard and black slate striking surface in a sycamore pot, turned out quite nice even though I made a few mistakes. The guy I got the kit from also has them for box calls, here is link to his kits. https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=crgamecalls&item=323678391112&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.XKit+.TRS2&_nkw=Kit+&_sacat=0

Here are step by step pictures of the one I did, I forgot to get a picture of pot before it was sanded and coated in polyurethane.

IMG_0338 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0332 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0342 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0349 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_0347 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
Assuming you are talking about making mouth calls, you can make them without any sort of press or jig needed,...and you can get all the materials for making them from a couple of suppliers.  I used to sell kits with instructions and materials for making calls a few years ago, but kind of got out of doing it.  ...Pretty simple and inexpensive system for making calls.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 02:38:16 PM »
Assuming you are talking about making mouth calls, you can make them without any sort of press or jig needed,...and you can get all the materials for making them from a couple of suppliers.  I used to sell kits with instructions and materials for making calls a few years ago, but kind of got out of doing it.  ...Pretty simple and inexpensive system for making calls.
Thanks for your post, I missed that it was in the mouth call category until I saw your reply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."