Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

On the board in Virginia

Started by Mountainburd, April 15, 2020, 10:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

Woke up to a cold and damp morning. I heard nothing on the roost so kept moving around until I struck a bird with my Marlin Watkins box call (Never use box calls) around 400 yards away.  I set up and they (2 longbeards) started gobbling really good but wouldn't budge.  After re-setting up 4 times and switching to my mouth call, and having the rolling terrain to my advantage, I sat down and gave a call, and he hammered back right away under 30 yards over a little rise.  A few seconds later, I catch movement in front of me and I thread the needle under a downed tree and knock him down at 15 yards.

It's been a rough few days.  Other than a bird I screwed up on Sunday morning, there has been very little roost gobbling or really gobbling at all.  Appears to be shaping into yet another strange season like the last 3.  I'll take them when I can get them.  Ill get the contest pics posted in a little later. He's a triple beard with a little over inch spurs. 

reflexl

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Good job brother!! Guns N' Hoses is finally on the board!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Hallelujah! Finally... I'd rather this team have a strong finish anyhoot! Congrats on a great bird  :)
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Hayudog

Quality...Looks like a good bird.  Congrats. Glad we got one for the board.
My friend from Iowa killed one the other day. He said not even one gobble on the roost. Damn Easterns. I listened for 4 hours, two days in a row, multiple gobblers gobbling non stop.  But I can't go to them....private land. 20 acres in the middle of national forest.

suburbhunter

Awesome bird, Congratulations!!!!