turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eagles and turkeys

Started by aclawrence, April 13, 2020, 11:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

There is a new cutover from last summer where I hunt that I thought would be on fire this turkey season. It's really remote and I don't think many even know its back there. Unfortunately the turkey sign there has been very little. There's also a bald eagle that's been hanging around the area. After listening to the last meat eater podcast and the talk of the great horned owls killing turkeys I'm wondering if this Eagle is working the turkeys over.  I imagine a big eagle could swoop down on a turkey out there and kill it but I've never heard of it happening. I found his nest about a half a mile away in the corner of another cut over and I see him pretty much every time I'm in this area. You think the turkeys would shy away from this area because of the Eagle?  There's another cutover a little distance from here that is the same age and it has had several Gobblers strutting the day away out there. Of course this cutover is right beside the main road and everybody has seen these turkeys out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

my thoughts. ive personally seen great horned owls attempt to catch a live adult turkey in a cutover in Mississippi. In his failed attempt he chased the flying turkey all the way to the roost. Interesting...he came back unsuccessful. Ive never seen a eagle attack a turkey however, a good friend of mine hunts on the red river in Oklahoma and north texas. Years ago they had a bad drought and the river nearly dried up in places. The eagles that live along the river didn't have the fish and other resources the river typically gave to them...so what do you think was next on there menu. The turkeys that roosted on the river. I don't know if the eagles were always there but they were that year...and they wore the turkey in that area out.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Fullfan

Seen first hand what eagle's can do. Back in 2017 I was involved in a car crash which left me unable to walk. I could drive my side by side 3/4 a mile behind the house park and use crutches to hobble to a field edge. I would set there and call from daylight until 1230 every day.  There is a bald eagle nest prob 1/4 a mile from where I sat.  I would see lone hens and several gobblers in the plowed field feeding and strutting. Then along came the eagles, every time the turkeys would run from the field.  Cost me several longboards that year. I sat there for 12 days before I convinced a long beard to come looking. Was quite a job getting him back to the side by side...
Don't gobble at me...

aclawrence

Interesting. That's what I'm afraid of. The turkeys should be in that cutover. It's isolated, surrounded by pines and hardwoods and there are some private fields not to far away. I've heard no gobbles and seen very little tracks.  I'm having a hard time imagining a gobbler strutting out there with an eagle perched overhead. Maybe that is the problem.  I thought I was going to have a turkey paradise back there.  I'm going to continue to keep tabs on the spot.

TauntoHawk

I've seen eagles clear fields pretty much any time they show up and turkeys are out in open areas, with their reactions id assume its safe they consider them a dangerous predator.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RutnNStrutn

I was hunting in Florida years ago, and was using a foam decoy. After a while, a bald eagle flew in and landed on a limb about 50 yards from my decoy. After 5 minutes, it swooped in and flew off with my deke. It flew about 75 yards before it realized it wasn't real, and dropped it.
Another time, the biggest hawk I've ever seen (the size of a small eagle) swooped in and attacked a decoy, knocking it off its stake and landing next to it. When it realized it wasn't a real hen, it flew off. I went to put my decoy back on its stake, and there were multiple talon holes in the neck of the decoy.
So yes, raptors do indeed prey on turkeys, and I'm certain that fact isn't lost on the turkeys either. :OGani:

catman529

Had two eagles on the ridge I was listening from this morning. Heard a lot of birds but they were a couple ridges over. Across the property line of course. I did end up calling in and killing a coyote. I know that coyote had turkey on his mind, so I put some copper plated lead on his mind instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cracker4112

I was watching a gobbler, 2 jakes and 3 hens in the middle of a pasture about 300 yds away from my set up last week.  They were slowly easing my way, when all of a sudden the hens and jakes took off running for the woods, the gobbler looked around and slowly followed.  Just when I was wondering how those hens could have spotted me motionless from so far away, a bald eagle came flying across the pasture and flew right over where the turkeys disappeared.   

ManfromGreenSwamp

Had the same with red tailed hawk dropping in on my decoy setup taking out a old foam hen, with a Killer B strutter right next to it. It's talons we're stuck in it and after a minute or so of hopping around squawking it flew up into a pine beside us and stared down at it screaming in a rather confused and pissed off manner.

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Timmer

Below is my post on "sleeping with the enemy."  We have a bald eagle's nest on our land, and plenty of turkeys.  They even roost in the same tree as the eagle's nest.  So my vote would be no, the eagles don't impact the turkeys. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94419.msg924812.html#msg924812

I would also note that we aren't near water and our eagles don't have some other obvious and consistent source for food. If turkeys were high on their list I think they would have a major impact.  Now ask me about pheasants, and I will tell you that either the pheasants don't like the big birds above or they all got eaten because when the eagles moved in the pheasants disappeared. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Timmer on April 14, 2020, 03:16:52 PM
Below is my post on "sleeping with the enemy."  We have a bald eagles nest on our land, and plenty of turkeys.  They even roost in the same tree as the eagle's nest.  So my vote would be no, the eagles don't impact the turkeys. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,94419.msg924812.html#msg924812

I would also note that we aren't near water and our eagles don't have some other obvious and consistent source for food. If turkeys were high on their list I think they would have a major impact.  Now ask me about pheasants, and I will tell you that either the pheasants don't like the big birds above or they all got eaten because when the eagles moved in the pheasants disappeared.
Very interesting topic guys I very rarely see Bald Eagles and have never seen turkeys and them cohabitating together, thanks for the post and pictures Timmer that is really neat.

CAPTJJ

We have eagles that nest and live on the lake where I run my charter boat, see them regularly. I have seen them prey on loons and seagulls.  2 Septembers ago I watched an eagle dive bombing a loon for about 20 minutes.  Every time the loon would go underwater, then resurface and call, eagle finally gave up. A couple days later, there was a loon swimming near the boat, eagle showed up but flew right on by.

Also see eagles that grab lake trout that we release  before they swim back down. One trout was around 8 pounds and an eagle struggled to fly off with it snd dropped it after 50 yards or so. My guess is that a 20 pound tom might be too much for an eagle to handle.

Paulmyr

I think eagles are mostly scavengers. Most of their food is already dead. Not saying they won't take a shot at live animals. They prefer the easy route of stealing fish from other birds and eating dead stuff.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

howl

The correlation in increase in raptor numbers and decrease in turkey numbers is clear. How great an affect it is nobody has shown.

turkeykiller41

Raptors are way more protected than they should be,but these educated idiots know more than common folks.