OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How cold is to cold to sleep in truck?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 12, 2020, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 11:27:29 AM
Quote from: strum on April 12, 2020, 11:20:46 AM
I know im a southerner when i say it but, forget that crap. Why do you have to sleep in the truck?
Mainly to avoid driving back and fourth and only getting between 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Just easier to crash in the truck.

I would stay In a hotel, but it's gonna run me about $100 a night, or I can just crash in my truck for free. Even gas would be about $20-$25 a day.

I understand now. kudos to you for doing it .. Thats dedication.  If i had to do it then I would defiantly sleep in the truck bed ,have a camper top, and a thick mattress. Heat with a propane heater . If you have to do this for a few days then you need all the comfort you can get man.

Sixes

Wow, you northerners are nuts! You guys make all that sound like a normal trip. :toothy12:

I've slept in the back of the truck but it's usually because it is cooler outside than inside my hunting building.

This is one of the most interesting parts of a hunting forum, seeing all the different (normal) ways of hunting from each area.

I've never hunted in those type temperatures and very rarely hunt in sub 40 temps.  I hunted yesterday morning and it was 35 at daybreak and that is the coldest I've hunted this year

strum

Quote from: Sixes on April 12, 2020, 01:21:48 PM
Wow, you northerners are nuts! You guys make all that sound like a normal trip. :toothy12:

I've slept in the back of the truck but it's usually because it is cooler outside than inside my hunting building.

This is one of the most interesting parts of a hunting forum, seeing all the different (normal) ways of hunting from each area.

I've never hunted in those type temperatures and very rarely hunt in sub 40 temps.  I hunted yesterday morning and it was 35 at daybreak and that is the coldest I've hunted this year

My thoughts exactly.. you must me south of me.. Im in N Ga it was 30* yesterday but very calm and clear.

Sixes

Quote from: strum on April 12, 2020, 01:27:32 PM
Quote from: Sixes on April 12, 2020, 01:21:48 PM

My thoughts exactly.. you must me south of me.. Im in N Ga it was 30* yesterday but very calm and clear.

I was in west Ga in Troup county

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 12, 2020, 01:01:59 PM
Gonna reiterate something things here. Bed of the truck, sleeping pad, good sleeping bag and a cardboard box. Cut holes for personal ventilation. Use one that a freezer or large appliance came in. It'll act as a shell to trap warmth. Sounds crazy but I swear it's true. My FIL does it and I have too. Amazing what cardboard will do.

If you have no camper top, cover with a tarp and you can forget the box. The tarp, if sealed properly around the bed will do similarly. I've slept in the back of mine with just a bag and tonneau cover. It does make getting out more difficult tho.

I'd prefer not to sleep in the cab. Condensation freezing on the windows...no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, that's why you see so many homeless people sleeping in old boxes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

High plains drifter

Quote from: Happy hooker on April 12, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
I don't know that you want to stay in motels right now,,It sucks, but I've done it. Get as propane heater, crack a window, open a window  occasionally. Buy a 300 dollar down bag, lots of pillows, put down as good quality pad.

Mossberg90MN

Gonna reiterate something things here. Bed of the truck, sleeping pad, good sleeping bag and a cardboard box. Cut holes for personal ventilation. Use one that a freezer or large appliance came in. It'll act as a shell to trap warmth. Sounds crazy but I swear it's true. My FIL does it and I have too. Amazing what cardboard will do.

If you have no camper top, cover with a tarp and you can forget the box. The tarp, if sealed properly around the bed will do similarly. I've slept in the back of mine with just a bag and tonneau cover. It does make getting out more difficult tho.

I'd prefer not to sleep in the cab. Condensation freezing on the windows...no bueno.

I got a tonneau cover on mine. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to stay warm just sleeping in the back like that without a heater right?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 02:33:43 PM

I got a tonneau cover on mine. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to stay warm just sleeping in the back like that without a heater right?

Might stay warmer, less area to heat. Have to have somebody let you out in the morning though!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 12, 2020, 01:00:49 PM
Yup. Definitely a pee bootle. Start the truck and let it warm up before you climb out of the roost. Leave the window cracked even if you don't have a heater going. That will keep the condensation from your breath to a minimum. You less likely wake up with the inside of the cab covered in moisture. At them temps it might even freeze. Bring plenty of blankets/ sleeping bags. They are like clothes. You can always take some off but you can't put some on if you don't have them. Make sure to put plenty of insulation between you and the air mattress. I find air mattresses do a pretty good job of dissapateing body heat and you'll want to conserve as much as possible.  If a cheaper motel is still an option and your not afraid of the covid check out the one in St Charles. They cater to the sportsmen down there.
I'll give that one a look. It may not be a bad idea for a couple days until the temps go up.

I'm probably going to just end up doing the drive for a couple days and then it should warm up by the 3rd day and start camping out then.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2020, 02:35:51 PM

Might stay warmer, less area to heat. Have to have somebody let you out in the morning though!
Yea I could see that haha luckily mine cover can open itself from the inside. Then I just reach my arm over pop open the tailgate.

wvmntnhick

Nah. My cover was solid. So long as no one had a key to lock me inside, just push it up and get out. The truck I've got now has a soft cover. Haven't tried that one yet.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 02:37:52 PM

Yea I could see that haha luckily mine cover can open itself from the inside. Then I just reach my arm over pop open the tailgate.

There ya go, you're all set! Don't forget that pee bottle though!

John Koenig:

idgobble

If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs. I did lots of winter camping in Vermont when I was young. A springer spaniel is about the right size.

GobbleNut

Quote from: idgobble on April 12, 2020, 02:46:52 PM
If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs.

Personally, I am a "Three Dog Night" man myself....
(Just seeing how many here will get the reference....) :)

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2020, 03:18:12 PM
Quote from: idgobble on April 12, 2020, 02:46:52 PM
If you have a foam pad, good sleeping bag, warm knit hat and shell on the back of the truck you'll be fine. Dress warm and take a medium size dog and have it in the sleeping bag with you.  They give off lots of heat. For extra cold nights (below zero) have two dogs.

Personally, I am a "Three Dog Night" man myself....
(Just seeing how many here will get the reference....) :)
Personally i like hugging up to female on those cold nights , but if you like dogs more power to you..  :TooFunny: