OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How cold is to cold to sleep in truck?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 12, 2020, 10:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2020, 11:00:02 AM
I would first ask are you planning to sleep in the cab or in the bed? Does the bed have a cover? If in the bed I would suggest that the first thing you do if you can't get off the floor of it is to put some form of pad that will act as a form of insulation between you and the cold metal of the truck floor. A good sleep pad could work for you or a couple of thick blankets under you, even a piece of cheap cut foam would work. They make mattresses to go in the back of a truck now too, they would be a good idea, just make sure you clean the truck out well so there is nothing sharp to puncture it.

for on top of you if you are lucky and can use wool I would say some good wool blankets or other type of blankets, maybe a few of them. I would go to the hunting section of Wal-Mart and get one of those heat reflecting tarps, they reflect 95 or 98 percent of your body heat back at you. You could use one under you and one over the top of you or if big enough fold it back over the top of you like a taco shell along with blankets.

I would suggest some good base layer clothing to sleep in, something that breathes and wicks moisture away from you. Wear a night hat, even a baseball cap that does not have mesh can help hold in body heat.
I was going to sleep in the cab. I bought an inflatable air mattress that's designed to be in the back seat.

I guess the plan was to sleep in the back, I can lay out flat almost.

I was gonna buy some window covers and an extra sleeping bag. Then bring along a few blankets with me.

I also have some of those hand warmers but for toes and back and stuff. The full body package.

Probably gonna wear a balaclava and a beanie.

Or I can just deal with the lack of sleep for 2 days and then crash out there because by then the night temps will go from the 20s-40s. In my opinion much more bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 12, 2020, 11:25:56 AM
First of all, NEVER run your truck engine or use any sort of gas/fuel-run heater in an enclosed space and go to sleep.  You may not wake up again!  People die of carbon monoxide poisoning every year doing that.

Back to the subject,....yes, you can be very comfortable sleeping in your truck cab in very cold temps.  I do it every year in temps that get down to the low or mid teens at night.  Wear enough clothes and have enough sleeping bags/blankets over you and you will be fine. 

If, for whatever reason, you still get cold, you can turn on your vehicle engine or warm up your cab with a heater, BUT you should stay awake and turn either back off before falling asleep again.  If you have adequate "covers", you probably would not have to do that.

Waking up and getting ready to go in the morning is the real issue for me.  Uncovering and getting boots and clothes on in a tight space when the temps are way low can be a bit chilly.  Wake up five minutes earlier than you would otherwise and then turn that heater on for a few minutes to warm the cab (or camper shell) and you will be cozy.  Of course, your comfort in sleeping in your vehicle cab is also dependent on your size, your truck's cab size, and your ability to sleep in possibly cramped quarters. 

The one specific hint I would give you is to check how far your front seats will fold down towards the back (in 4-door or king cabs).  Some front truck seats will fold down almost completely flat. It took me a few years before I realized that,...and sleeping with the seat folded down made all the difference in the world for me.  When hunting by myself,...and especially if I am hunting a large area like a NF or large WMA or the like where I might be covering lots of country and relocating every night, I will often just sleep in my truck right where I am going to hunt.  The added advantage is that you are always there first that way! :)
Yea I've read about leaving those heaters running and carbon monoxide. I guess it can happen to a person as well if they leave the windows cranked all the way up. That you got to leave the window cracked a little.

I'm probably gonna do it and just like you said, layer up. Bring a couple sleeping bags with me.

I think front seat goes down pretty low but not 100%

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on April 12, 2020, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2020, 11:00:02 AM
I would first ask are you planning to sleep in the cab or in the bed? Does the bed have a cover? If in the bed I would suggest that the first thing you do if you can't get off the floor of it is to put some form of pad that will act as a form of insulation between you and the cold metal of the truck floor. A good sleep pad could work for you or a couple of thick blankets under you, even a piece of cheap cut foam would work. They make mattresses to go in the back of a truck now too, they would be a good idea, just make sure you clean the truck out well so there is nothing sharp to puncture it.

for on top of you if you are lucky and can use wool I would say some good wool blankets or other type of blankets, maybe a few of them. I would go to the hunting section of Wal-Mart and get one of those heat reflecting tarps, they reflect 95 or 98 percent of your body heat back at you. You could use one under you and one over the top of you or if big enough fold it back over the top of you like a taco shell along with blankets.

I would suggest some good base layer clothing to sleep in, something that breathes and wicks moisture away from you. Wear a night hat, even a baseball cap that does not have mesh can help hold in body heat.
I was going to sleep in the cab. I bought an inflatable air mattress that's designed to be in the back seat.

I guess the plan was to sleep in the back, I can lay out flat almost.

I was gonna buy some window covers and an extra sleeping bag. Then bring along a few blankets with me.

I also have some of those hand warmers but for toes and back and stuff. The full body package.

Probably gonna wear a balaclava and a beanie.

Or I can just deal with the lack of sleep for 2 days and then crash out there because by then the night temps will go from the 20s-40s. In my opinion much more bearable.

Back in the days that I was a party animal I had a 77 Chrysler New Yorker, I used to sleep in the trunk of that with no problem. I do not think I could do that any more, one reason is I no longer do the things I used to do back then, so I would feel the discomfort now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Happy hooker

Hey guy you can get the little pint size propane bottles for the buddy style heaers,,but that gets expensive to do regularly,,don't throw out those bottles when done or grab some you see thrown out,,you can refill them,,northern hydraulic used to sell a coupler that allows you to fill the small bottles from the regular 20lb tanks,,much much cheaper,,the trick is getting the small bottles cold like in freezer and regular tank warm that makes the transfer flow fast
If you can find a Coleman focus 5 heater that might have been the best portable propane heater ever made,,might be one now on twin cities craigslist.

Greg Massey

Man i didn't know , there was so may ways to sleep in the truck. Best suggestion i've read is the pee bottle, that's a must.  :TooFunny:

fallhnt

Quote from: Liljake on April 12, 2020, 11:01:53 AM
A thick sleeping bag and some hand warmers. I wear a wool hat and a hoodie with hand warmer pockets.
I put a hand warmer in each pocket of the hoodie one in the bottom of bag for my feet and one by my neck.
This

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

1iagobblergetter

$1.45 gas and going to freeze? If your exhaust system is good and you park using the wind you couldn't even buy all these items others are recommending for what a couple gallons of gas will cost. If your worried like someone else said crack the window down. If you have faulty exhaust no i wouldnt let it run. Common sense goes a long way. You should know your vehicle.
I would not use any propane heaters etc. in a tight area or you will possibly die. I sleep in vehicles often. Just slept in my pickup leaving it run the other night turkey related and lived to tell about it.

Happy hooker

Mossberg,,I carry a portable heater all winter,,you know what a bad snowstorm can do here,,if your stuck somewhere for hours it will be hours before a tow truck gets to you while their busy pulling everybody else out.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Happy hooker on April 12, 2020, 12:06:30 PM
Mossberg,,I carry a portable heater all winter,,you know what a bad snowstorm can do here,,if your stuck somewhere for hours it will be hours before a tow truck gets to you while their busy pulling everybody else out.
Yea that is true. I do have to make sure I get one of those.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: fallhnt on April 12, 2020, 11:49:52 AM
Quote from: Liljake on April 12, 2020, 11:01:53 AM
A thick sleeping bag and some hand warmers. I wear a wool hat and a hoodie with hand warmer pockets.
I put a hand warmer in each pocket of the hoodie one in the bottom of bag for my feet and one by my neck.
This

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
This probably seems like what I'm going to do.

TauntoHawk

I've done it plenty but only down to upper 20's. Air pad or mattress will help insulate from below, good sleeping bag and a down blanket, wear a good layer or two like wool Base layers and soft primaloft type jacket or fleece and I've been down right cozy with snow outside. Probably would put the $100 you save in gas into a good sleeping bag if you don't have that, it will last a lot longer then a tank or two of gas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

troutfisher13111

Invest in a quality sleeping bag made for really low temperatures.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

ddturkeyhunter

You said you have a two sleeping bags and a few blankets, you will be fine. Just put a blanket over head and leave a small area for face and can sleep that way in below weather, done a few times. The biggest thing if you dont start engine a few times to warm up a little, is the moisture condensation that you get. The cloth roof in the cab will help, I slept in back box under tin topper one time. Next morning when woke up there was frost like snow on inside roof. And when it warmed up it rained in there making everything damp. Just do it and save the bucks, things will be fine.

Paulmyr

Yup. Definitely a pee bootle. Start the truck and let it warm up before you climb out of the roost. Leave the window cracked even if you don't have a heater going. That will keep the condensation from your breath to a minimum. You less likely wake up with the inside of the cab covered in moisture. At them temps it might even freeze. Bring plenty of blankets/ sleeping bags. They are like clothes. You can always take some off but you can't put some on if you don't have them. Make sure to put plenty of insulation between you and the air mattress. I find air mattresses do a pretty good job of dissapateing body heat and you'll want to conserve as much as possible.  If a cheaper motel is still an option and your not afraid of the covid check out the one in St Charles. They cater to the sportsmen down there.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

wvmntnhick

Gonna reiterate something things here. Bed of the truck, sleeping pad, good sleeping bag and a cardboard box. Cut holes for personal ventilation. Use one that a freezer or large appliance came in. It'll act as a shell to trap warmth. Sounds crazy but I swear it's true. My FIL does it and I have too. Amazing what cardboard will do.

If you have no camper top, cover with a tarp and you can forget the box. The tarp, if sealed properly around the bed will do similarly. I've slept in the back of mine with just a bag and tonneau cover. It does make getting out more difficult tho.

I'd prefer not to sleep in the cab. Condensation freezing on the windows...no bueno.