OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What's the best turkey chair/seat/cushion out there?

Started by LegendHunter, April 11, 2020, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LegendHunter

Looking to purchase a new seat this year for turkey season. I'm leaning towards the Alpz NWTF chair but wanted to hear your thoughts about these and anybody's suggestions?

https://bitly.com/

WylieCoyote

I bought the Alps NWTF chair and it's the best in my opinion. Super comfortable, strong, wide and sturdy.
I weighed 380lbs when I bought mine and it was a game changer for me being able to sit longer.
My buddy has a couple of the Walmart brand chairs, they work just as good but not quite as stout as the Alps.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

DMTJAGER

This is what I and my sons use:
https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-Woodland-Hunting-Chair/dp/B003AV6CO4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=12XG2JIK58UKH&dchild=1&keywords=turkey+hunting+chair&qid=1587946004&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=turkey+hunting%2Csporting%2C166&sr=1-5

All three of us weigh between 260 and 280lbs and the chair has held up superbly well. EXTREMELY comfortable and will allow you to sit in comfort as long as you wish including all day if you're so inclined to do so.

I hunt in a state that allows all day turkey hunting on private land and my primary strategy if I don't kill one called off the roost first hour or so of the day is I wait until after 9am and start sneak and peak and blind calling or sit in a field I know is a late morning strut area. My sons and I have spent many 6-12 hour days turkey hunting sitting in the above seat and are 100% satisfied with it. I should add I've killed at least 60% of my Toms after 9am sneaking/peaking or sitting in known strutting zones and blind calling again after 9am.

What I love the best about using a seat is it allows me to set up absolutely ANYWHERE I want or need to and sit on EXTREME comfort VS sitting on the ground which has been an truly IMMEASURABLY HUGE game changer for mine and my sons turkey hunting.

My turkey chair is now second only to my gun in importance.

Word of caution about the other styles of turkey chairs that collapse or fold into a cylindrical shape. They are slightly lighter and easier to carry but are intended for those that weigh 225lbs and under, as I have bought 5 and only one is still unbroken. My sons and I broke 4 total while trying to twist to our extreme right or left while seated and the plastic joints snapped and are not repairable or replaceable.

The type like I recommended are FAR more durable and have held up to three years of use and abuse by my sons and I and we all are over 6' and 260lbs and show no signs of damage thus far.

The only thing I will say is although they come with a great padded carry strap, what they lacked and I didn't like was they should've come with a strap that keeps them compressed when carried over your shoulder, otherwise it will clank and bang because it opens and closes slightly while being carried and risk alerting roosted turkeys your trying to set up tight on to your presence. To solve this issue I bought and tied onto the chair camo hunting application specific bungee cords that had heavy duty plastic hooks that wouldn't clank or bang if they hit the steel tubing frame of the chair.

I waited until after turkey season was over and got mine on sale for $40 each W/S. I've included a picture of my exact seat. Do a search to find one at the best price.

If you like me have issues with your hips or back once you use a good seat you will NEVER willingly go back to sitting on the ground.