turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's this about tss

Started by Moore, April 11, 2020, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moore

I'm putting down the bow this spring, and taken old mossy out of retirement. I have been seeing something's about tss. Is it like heavy 13 or something totally different? I patern the boy and I was getting 127 in a 10in at 40yds. I wasn't real happy with my numbers but good enough to put a bird down
[

Dtrkyman

Tungsten super shot, it's 18gcc so you can shoot shot sizes as small as 10s for turkeys!

Lots of really nice round dense pellets so they pattern fantastic!  127 in the ten is lethal but If you got that with tss you would be pissed!

You will likely double that or more!

It is legit!

fallhnt

What shot size
What choke
What gage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wvmntnhick

I get 340's with my current 20 ga setup. That's using 9's. Was getting 370's with my 12 ga using same size shot. Haven't tried the 8's yet but I'm anxious to see what they're gonna do out of the 12. But with the 20 doing what it's doing, I may never find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 11, 2020, 09:40:03 PM
Tungsten super shot, it's 18gcc so you can shoot shot sizes as small as 10s for turkeys!

Lots of really nice round dense pellets so they pattern fantastic!  127 in the ten is lethal but If you got that with tss you would be pissed!

You will likely double that or more!

It is legit!
you will likely TRIPLE that...or more.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

bbcoach

Better patterns with TSS but the cost is considerably higher.  If your shooting lead, about 5 times more.  IMO, not worth the cost in the 12 but it definitely levels the playing field with the 20 and .410.

Fullfan

TSS has turned a 2 3/4" 20ga into a light weight lethal killer at 40 yds. The 12ga  2 1/4oz 3.5" is no longer needed.
Don't gobble at me...

Spurs Up

It's pixie dust in a sub-gauge.

Gobble!

Its a different animal. A 20 gauge shooting TSS will outperform a 12 gauge shooting lead or hevi13.

What you've got now will kill birds but you misjudge one that's at 50 yards it turns into a mess fast. Guys are using .410s and TSS and putting up 130s at 40 yards all day.

I've used #9 TSS for years without issue. Extremely impressive stuff. My boys use #10s with improved cylinder chokes with great results as well.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gobble! on April 13, 2020, 11:13:51 AM
Its a different animal. A 20 gauge shooting TSS will outperform a 12 gauge shooting lead or hevi13.

What you've got now will kill birds but you misjudge one that's at 50 yards it turns into a mess fast. Guys are using .410s and TSS and putting up 130s at 40 yards all day.

I've used #9 TSS for years without issue. Extremely impressive stuff. My boys use #10s with improved cylinder chokes with great results as well.
What guns are they burning the 10's through?

Spitten and drummen

I hand load my own and will say this. I will never shoot anything else. #9's out of my 20 gauge is one of the most leathal combos I have ever witnessed. Awesome patterns , tremendous energy and scary consistency . Also not to mention , its a joy to tote a light weight 20 gauge up and down those ridges all day.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

captfire

I WENT FROM 15O WITH WINCHESTER LONG BEARDS[JUNK] TO 227 IN A 10 CIRCLE WITH THE TSS I WON'T LOOK BACK YA THEY WILL SET U BACK SOME BUT I LOVE THEM..

Gobble!

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 13, 2020, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on April 13, 2020, 11:13:51 AM

What guns are they burning the 10's through?

20 gauge 870.

paboxcall

The TSS difference?

• In my 12 gauge, I was patterning 275+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards shooting 3" with 2oz. Hevi #7s under 1,100 fps.
  • In my new 20 gauge, I'm patterning 295+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards shooting 2.75" with 1 3/8oz. TSS #9s over 1,100 fps.
Way less recoil from the 20 gauge and as Spitten said nicer to carry.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

wvmntnhick

Quote from: paboxcall on April 14, 2020, 02:19:04 PM
The TSS difference?

• In my 12 gauge, I was patterning 275+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards shooting 3" with 2oz. Hevi #7s under 1,100 fps.
  • In my new 20 gauge, I'm patterning 295+ in a 10" circle at 40 yards shooting 2.75" with 1 3/8oz. TSS #9s over 1,100 fps.
Way less recoil from the 20 gauge and as Spitten said nicer to carry.
Deep clean that bore. I bet it jumps up immensely with the proper choke. But, you've still got a great pattern at 295.