turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One of those years

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 11, 2020, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Have you guys had one of those seasons where nothing goes right? Well this is one of those years for me. It does not matter what I do , things go South on every hunt for me this season. I have missed a bird , worked several that I could not close the deal on , made bad moves and bumped a bird that was begging to die , bumped birds off the roost , move at the wrong time , lost 2 strikers , broke a box call. I have been doing this a long time and I am doing things that a green turkey hunter would do. I have just had a awful year. I have killed one 2 year old. I run turkey calls all year and have done so many many years , but in the woods I just dont sound like I normally do. Its crazy. I think alot of this has gotten in my head and Im having trouble shaking it. I got a bird gobbling at ten this morning and he was coming quick. Knocked the safety off and had my gun up. I heard the bird drum and he popped up in sight at 15 yards. He was to my left and I would have to swing the gun a foot and a half to get on him. He stood like a statue and started drifting to his left closing the gap that I needed . He walked behind a pine and I smoothly started to shift the gun to my left. The end of my barrel hung a vine the size of a pencil that I never saw , causing it to shake slightly. At that exact time the bird laid his head back from behind the tree and caught the vine shaking ever so slightly. He vanished leaving the tree between him and me letting out the dreaded putts. I was so sick that I wanted to throw up. I knew I should not move but I did it anyway. I know gobblers do that reverse peak when going behind a tree and if I waited until he did that then he would continue to move into my shooting lane. I keep shooting myself in the foot and wanted to vent a little. Thanks guys.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

turkeymanjim

Welcome to the club.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Happy

Been there and done that and may someday be there again. I know it's easier said than done but quit putting pressure on yourself. Relax, and hunt like you usually do and enjoy every second of it. Sometimes we get in our own way.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Sounds like your are having a great time, don't see whats awful about it. Now you get to go back out and turkey hunt again. Sounds like fun .
Filling tags too soon is a bummer. Unless you run out of time   :(

Yep, been there except for breaking a box call. Even one I didn't like.
Good luck

Chris O

Yesterday I took my son youth hunting and we had 4 different opportunities to seal the deal and it didn't work out for him. He could have shot a Jake but passed on him waiting for the gobbler behind him to make it to where the Jake was and the Jake finally spooked. Then today we heard more birds than yesterday off the roost but nothing responded. After getting rained on we decided to call it a day around noon . While heading back to the truck we spooked several jakes . I told him we would make one last ditch effort and try to call them back after they kind of split up. Well it worked and he filled his very last youth tag. He won't be eligible next year. This was his first Jake and we worked pretty hard for him so I am happy he was able to fill his tag . Now we can sleep in on Easter Sunday and don't have to go out in the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

The stories you give us puts me right into your hunt. The experiences you have had shows you know what you are doing. Your on them, it will swing your way soon. You are to experienced for them to dodge you much longer.....
"Solo hunter"

Spitten and drummen

Thanks guys. Just doing a little venting to fellow Turkey hunters. Been a long time since I have had so much go sour in the Turkey woods. I gotta turn it around.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Brian Fahs

Man its not fun when you don't have the results you are used to having.

Look at the big picture however. States surrounding my home state of pennsylvania are closing the doors to nonresident hunting before the season even starts. Most of the surrounding states open within the next 2 weeks and there is no guarantee I will be able to hunt the states I normally would. If all else fails I plan to hunt my home state in 2 weeks when it finally opens.

I hope your season turns around for you. I know I for one take a lot of my hunting opportunities for granted. Enjoy every day you get in the wood.

ManfromGreenSwamp

Let go of "having " to kill a bird and go to be at peace, enjoy the sunrise, listen to the REAL world wake up and just take it all in.
I PROMISE it will happen when you least expect it.

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

Sounds exactly like me deer hunting when the pressure is on.

"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

eggshell

I have no idea what your talking about.....wait did I already go to the bathroom, wait what were we talking about?

See I just blame it on old age and bad memory.

Seriously, we've all done it. My buddy who is usually death walking, for gobblers, never tagged out last year. He blew 5 different opportunities that should have been slam dunks. I took him to my honey hole and called an old bastard bird I had wanted for a couple years right to his lap, I thought finally we got you, you old bastard and boom he missed him at 15 yards. A few years ago I had a season like that and I had a gobbler coming out in my back field I told the Mrs. I wouldn't kill just so she could watch him. The last week of season she met me on the road about mid morning and stopped to see if I had killed a bird. She knew how frustrated I was and told me that gobbler was in the field right now if you want to try and kill him I'm ok with it. So I went home and snuck back along the fence and one series of calls here he came and I dropped him. Then she told everyone I killed her pet....yup some seasons just suck.

paboxcall

Quote from: Brian Fahs on April 11, 2020, 03:41:29 PM
Look at the big picture however. States surrounding my home state of pennsylvania are closing the doors to nonresident hunting before the season even starts...Enjoy every day you get in the wood.

He's exactly right. Sounds like you had lots of interactions and opportunities, beats either forced to be sitting at home, or other end of the spectrum listening to the woods wake up quiet day after day after day with no interactions.

If you were successful each and every set up, where's the fun in that?
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Spitten and drummen

Im not complaining about not killing a bird and yes I am enjoying my time hunting. I was just asking some of you if you ever had a season where you seem to not be able to do anything right and if you ever had a whole season that you got in a slump and could not seem to get out of it?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

Tom007

Anyone that can't say they had years like this hasn't hunted turkey's very long......... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

owlhoot

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2020, 04:28:54 PM
Anyone that can't say they had years like this hasn't hunted turkey's very long......... :turkey2:
That's for sure.