OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fist sighting lessons learned but have some questions  (Read 1330 times)

Offline hvacrbuildernc

Fist sighting lessons learned but have some questions
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:23:04 PM »
So I had an unsuccessful, but still great, opener today. Got in a little late at 630, had one gobbling as I headed to my blind. At 715-730ish, he came into view about 80 yards away. He would answer every time I called but would never come closer, finally got bored I guess and walked off but still answered until 9. I’ve never enjoyed the thrill of a hunt so much. I didn’t get out and chase him due to wearing black in the blind and didn’t wanna mess anything up for tomorrow. I didn’t have a decoy setup so I’m thinking that’s why he wouldn’t come in. My plan for tomorrow is to be in the trees about 30 yds from the path he took this morning with a hen decoy in the freshly plowed field that was between us this morning. If I setup where he will come into my 10 o’clock position and the decoy is at 12, will my calling from 30 yards out be close enough to alert him that my decoy isn’t doing the “talking” while he still 50-60 yards out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: Fist sighting lessons learned but have some questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:04:47 PM »
Never hunted out of a blind, but I have used decoys in a field.  If the bird can see the decoy, there is no reason to call.  Call to get him to come have a look and then let him work his way in.  Only call if he is losing interest or leaving and only when his head is down or not looking in your direction/behind brush. If he gets nervous some purrs or very light clucks can settle him down.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.