OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What are some "tricks you use?"  (Read 14664 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
What are some "tricks you use?"
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »
What are some "tricks" you guys use to kill those "tricky" birds?

I often like to "walk and talk" when striking a distant bird.  Loudly yelping as I first start towards him, and lightly clucking and soft yelps as I get to my set-up, and then shut up.  As I get closer, I also try to make my footsteps the same cadence as a turkey footsteps, and make some scratching sounds as I set up.

I often like to set up on a saddle of a hill...  If a bird comes into that saddle, he will be in range, and he has options as to which direction he wants to present.  Also, it is likely another bird will try an sneak on you while the one you are working one that is hanging up.  But, when I am on said saddle, with birds below me that will not show...  I will walk in circles with pleading calls, yelping and clucking on that saddle, and then sit back down quietly for a bit.

If that does not work, I will try walking to the edge of the saddle towards the birds quietly, and then start my pleading calling, walking away from them to back to my setup.

On more level ground, I will often make a move parallel to the birds while walking and talking...  Often, I might even walk slightly away from a bird calling loudly...  Then shut up and sit.

In other words, my most successful trick on "hung birds" is to sound like a moving bird.

My "other trick" is to set up in a likely spot to eat lunch...  Make a series of more aggressive yelps, cutts, and clucks, and then eat a leisurely lunch (maybe making a quiet cluck or purr every so often).  I try and eat behind the cover of a log or something else that is more forgiving of movement.  I have killed a few birds eating lunch...

My last trick is that when I do give up on a bird that never showed and went quiet to do a series of gobbles, followed by some attentive yelps and clucks of a hen...  Often a gobble will encourage that other bird to gobble, and he is closer than I thought.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: What are some "tricks you use?"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 01:28:01 PM »
If I have to sit in an area that has a lot of leaves or sticks that needs to be moved I will not just move them out of the way I will kind of try to sound like a turkey scratching when I get the stuff out of the way, I also yelp some while doing this. I also do the scratching to move stuff during deer season, had to get a ton of leaves one late fall or early winter and used the scratching to move the leaves so I could adjust for a shot if need be. Did this on a hill behind a forked tree and about a hour later I had a deer come straight to me and go to my right, because I moved the leaves I was able to roll to my belly to take the shot.

In addition to the scratching I will try to sound like a turkey flying down with a Wing Thing and a fly down cackle on a mouth call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
Kee kee run

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »
22-250    J/K
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
22-250    J/K
Now that’s funny. If you can’t laugh at that you need to leave. Anyway to answer the question, these days I don’t answer a gobbler much. In other words, when I strike one I just wait two or three minutes with no sound. If he gobbles more while I’m waiting I stay silent. After a minute or two I’ll just make a plain hen yelp with a few clucks and purrs thrown in. Every time he gobbles I wait at least one to two minutes to answer him. Or I may just ignore him and make quiet clucks, purrs, and leaf scratching. Basically sending the message that I’m not overly interested in him, and he will have to come find me. Drives a lot of birds nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »
My best tactic is to bumble and stumble around in the woods until I find a turkey so dang dumb and so dang, well, looking for love, that my calls sound good and he is willing and dumb enough to come in and die.  Just have to wear out some shoe leather to find 'em.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »
My best tactic is to bumble and stumble around in the woods until I find a turkey so dang dumb and so dang, well, looking for love, that my calls sound good and he is willing and dumb enough to come in and die.  Just have to wear out some shoe leather to find 'em.
When I get desperate, I also employ the tactic of calling in such a way that I sound like a hooker on Friday night that’s late on the rent.

John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 06:18:05 PM »
If I told you I'd have to shoot you :fud:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline mmorgan9812

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »
When I get desperate, I also employ the tactic of calling in such a way that I sound like a hooker on Friday night that’s late on the rent.

Ha ha my gosh that's good

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
Early season I’ll throw out a fighting purr sequence as a last ditch

I “mock” hens that yelp back often they will show up with gobbler in tow

Hung birds I will stop yelping and start purring and scratching

I will gobble and hit some excited yelps and cuts if on private land if I get gobbles I’m roost and then nothing after daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »
When all else fails, put an amplifier on the feeder motor...  :)  :)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »
22-250    J/K
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: 22 Hornet too!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 11:10:21 AM »
Had a BIG gobbler hang up on me one time and would not come any further.  I reached down with my left hand and started scratching in the dry leaves.  He walked right in spitting and drumming ready to die.  The heaviest gobbler I have killed to date in Pennsylvania.  23 pounds!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline strum

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 12:58:34 PM »
I know we suppose to stay out all day but today I wasnt hearing anything, I was hungry and I have other work to do so  my trick? Know when to fold em and try again another day.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »
Purr gobble
Psalm 46:10