OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

longbeard 3.5" 2 1/8 #5 vs #6 1050 fps

Started by Bobby5, April 03, 2020, 05:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

I went to the store today and wasn't thinking and grabbed a box of longboard 3.5  #6 2 1/8 1050 fps. I meant to get 3.5  #5 2 1/8 that's what ive been pattering my gun with. I have a Carlson longboard xr .683 choke and at 20 yards those #5's were a little too tight for my liking but I liked them. I don't plan on shooting anything past 35 yards and was wondering if those #6' would open my pattern up a little at close range? Im more worried about the 20-30 yard pattern then then the 40. I see where people say #6 lack energy and there the lower velocity so that's 2 strikes against it. I like the #5's but a little more spread wouldn't hurt. Im new to the turkey hunting game and would like your guys input. Would the #6 2 1/8 work out to 40 yards if needed?

Tom007

Those number 6 will do great. They are lethal. No worries.....

wvmntnhick

At 35 yards, you don't need to worry about the energy of those 6's. I've killed turkeys in the fall at greater distances using 2-3/4" 7.5's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

You won't have any trouble at all with 6's at 40 yds. Maybe further if you misjudge yardage a little.
Likelihood the pattern won't open up at close range.
Do the actual patterning though. 6's may suck out of your gun or they may be better. Only way to know is to shoot a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I would be sure to shoot 1 or two to see where they hit but as far as will they do the trick, I am positive them would. I personally have never shot any number 5 that I liked the pattern of, 6's have always been better.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."