turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Out of state hunts

Started by DBuck90, April 01, 2020, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBuck90

For those that have been fortunate enough to travel out of your home state to hunt
Which state did you like the best and why ? Next year I am going to finally venture out
Of my home state of Missouri the trip doesn't have to be successful but I want it to be enjoyable
And hopefully welcoming I have seen several videos lately of hunters with just no respect for other hunters hopefully with y'all's help and knowledge I could avoid such situations.

Tail Feathers

For your first travel state go try some Rios in Tx or OK. You'll live a hard gobbling Rio and it's different territory for you. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

DBuck90

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 01, 2020, 10:03:01 PM
For your first travel state go try some Rios in Tx or OK. You'll live a hard gobbling Rio and it's different territory for you.
thanks I have really been contemplating going to Texas since I do have family that live there

RutnNStrutn

I haven't been to Texas, yet, but I hunted Oklahoma only 10 miles from Texas. Me and 2 buddies all limited out on 3 gobblers each, and we saw hundreds of turkeys. The first afternoon I roosted 90 turkeys including 11 gobblers. Rios, like Merriams, are hard gobbling and super fun to hunt.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DBuck90

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 01, 2020, 10:56:59 PM
I haven't been to Texas, yet, but I hunted Oklahoma only 10 miles from Texas. Me and 2 buddies all limited out on 3 gobblers each, and we saw hundreds of turkeys. The first afternoon I roosted 90 turkeys including 11 gobblers. Rios, like Merriams, are hard gobbling and super fun to hunt.

was you on public land ?

fallhnt

Quote from: DBuck90 on April 02, 2020, 12:37:59 AM

was you on public land ?
Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bbcoach

Start by going to States that have birds you have never hunted.  For Rios, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska would be at the top of the list.  Merriams are in Nebraska and South Dakota to name a few.  And Osceola's in Florida.  For me, I've hunted Florida, Kansas, South Dakota and my home state of NC for the Slam.  Favorite for me was hunting Merriams, in the snow, in South Dakota.  Each hunt was Awesome.  Different terrain and each species acted a little different.  Traveling and hunting different States is a Thrill, especially when you do it with family or close friends.

DBuck90

Quote from: bbcoach on April 02, 2020, 11:56:38 AM
Start by going to States that have birds you have never hunted.  For Rios, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska would be at the top of the list.  Merriams are in Nebraska and South Dakota to name a few.  And Osceola's in Florida.  For me, I've hunted Florida, Kansas, South Dakota and my home state of NC for the Slam.  Favorite for me was hunting Merriams, in the snow, in South Dakota.  Each hunt was Awesome.  Different terrain and each species acted a little different.  Traveling and hunting different States is a Thrill, especially when you do it with family or close friends.
thank you I appreciate the response if only I had any family or friends that wanted to travel
And turkey hunt I am a Lone Ranger

OJR

Other than my home state I have hunted turkeys in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New York, Wyoming, Montana and the Yucatan in Mexico. While each location is different my most enjoyable were the hard gobbling Rio's in Texas. A ton of fun to hunt.

TauntoHawk

Go anywhere you can, they are all a fun adventure. I try and do 3 states a spring my own and two others try and make 1 of them a place I haven't been before. This year is all messed up and I will get in what I legally can.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: DBuck90 on April 02, 2020, 12:37:59 AM

was you on public land ?
No. It was all private.

High plains drifter

Quote from: OJR on April 02, 2020, 01:58:28 PM
Other than my home state I have hunted turkeys in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New York, Wyoming, Montana and the Yucatan in Mexico. While each location is different my most enjoyable were the hard gobbling Rio's in Texas. A ton of fun to hunt.
I get that. Its hard to find people to travel out of state.

GobbleNut

Quote from: DBuck90 on April 01, 2020, 09:48:53 PM
For those that have been fortunate enough to travel out of your home state to hunt
Which state did you like the best and why ? Next year I am going to finally venture out
Of my home state of Missouri the trip doesn't have to be successful but I want it to be enjoyable
And hopefully welcoming I have seen several videos lately of hunters with just no respect for other hunters hopefully with y'all's help and knowledge I could avoid such situations.

Based on the general comments made here on OG, I believe your best bet would be to head west and/or north.  The western, "Rocky Mountain" states have so much public land available that it is pretty easy to find places where you will not have the negative interactions with other hunters.  Apparently, the same can be said about the northern tier of states across the country (those states are next on my travel list). 

Again, from the comments here, I would most definitely avoid the southeastern states if you are hunting public land.  Even so, I am sure there are some lesser-known, out-ot-the-way places in those states where you might find what you are looking for.